Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
James,
The Outlook Team just updated the roadmap to say the rollout is now expected in March, Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365. I apologize for the delay.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've been using the new Outlook preview (the one you enable by toggling the "Try the new Outlook" switch in the main Outlook app for Windows) and I love it. It's so much faster than the main version.
Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed that the inbox had stopped updating automatically. I still get notifications that new messages have arrived, and the icon in the task bar indicates that I have unread messages, but when I look at the Outlook window the inbox shows no new messages. I have to click on a different folder and back to the inbox for it to refresh and show the new emails.
Obviously this make the product basically unusable - I can't afford to risk missing important emails - so I keep switching back to the main Outlook app, each time giving feedback about the problem. Every week or so I switch back to the new Outlook in the hope that the issue has been fixed, but so far it hasn't.
This seems like such a fundamental problem that I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which makes me wonder whether I'm alone in having this issue. I'm using a work account with Outlook and, to be clear, I don't experience the same issue when I'm using the main Outlook app.
Is anybody else having this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a problem with the app itself?
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
James,
The Outlook Team just updated the roadmap to say the rollout is now expected in March, Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365. I apologize for the delay.
It has been over a year since this user first made comment about this issue and I am facing the same issue now (April 2024). I have been using the new Outlook app (Version 1.2024.103.100 (Production) for a few weeks and I run into this issue with the new email messages not populating.
Is there an actual fix being worked on for this? If this many users are facing this issue, and it's a year later and still an issue, it seems like it's not being taken seriously as a bug.
Hi all,
The Outlook Team recently posted a Roadmap Item that will address your feedback, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=375743
Outlook**: Sync feature**
Rollout Start: February 2024
A button option to initiate email sync is coming to the new Outlook for Windows and Outlook on the web, this will allow users to ensure that their send and receive email experience is up-to-date. This functionality will be within the View tab of the Ribbon.
Feature ID: 375743
Added to roadmap: 1/9/2024
Last modified: 1/9/2024
Product(s): Outlook
Cloud instance(s): Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant)
Platform(s): Web, Desktop
Release phase(s): General Availability
The feature has also been published to the M365 Message Center as MC707650
Description
A button option to initiate email sync is coming to the new Microsoft Outlook for Windows and Outlook on the web. This will allow users to ensure that their send and receive email experience is up to date. This functionality will be in the View tab of the Ribbon.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 375743
[When this will happen:]
Standard Release: We will begin rolling out in mid-February 2024 and expect to be complete by early March 2024.
[How this will affect your organization:]
Users can ensure that their send and receive email experience is up to date by using the new synch button in the View tab of the Ribbon.
[What you need to do to prepare:]
There is no action needed to prepare for this change. You may want to notify your users about this change and update any relevant documentation as appropriate.
I am having the same issue as all these other users (now in April 2024) and I see the Sync button, but it does nothing. I click it, it shows me a pop up saying it's syncing, and nothing changes. I still cannot see the new email messages that my notifications say that I have. I have to change folders and go back to my inbox in order to see the new messages.
This is astounding to me. That was the first issue I had with the "new" Outlook, and their response back then was that was a feature destined to be in the "offline" version to which I replied, "if it's offline, exactly how is the sync button supposed to work?" Silence after that.
The last straw for me was when my exchange email through go-daddy didn't work with the new client. Then they fed us some BS about it being a licensing issue which of course was BS since the exchange email is a Microsoft product and always worked with the old Windows mail.
My solution was to move to MailBird and I couldn't be happier. EVERYTHING just works, as it should. I still get email alerts when there are posts to this thread, and I'm just amazed that these two MAJOR issues still haven't been addressed. Good luck
The last post was in April.
It's now 9/20, almost 6 months later, and I was FORCED to switch to New Outlook.
NO PROGRESS ON REFRESH,
WHEN will it happen, and how does an Office 365 get it?