"New Outlook" preview inbox doesn't refresh

Anonymous
2023-03-29T11:58:46+00:00

I've been using the new Outlook preview (the one you enable by toggling the "Try the new Outlook" switch in the main Outlook app for Windows) and I love it. It's so much faster than the main version.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed that the inbox had stopped updating automatically. I still get notifications that new messages have arrived, and the icon in the task bar indicates that I have unread messages, but when I look at the Outlook window the inbox shows no new messages. I have to click on a different folder and back to the inbox for it to refresh and show the new emails.

Obviously this make the product basically unusable - I can't afford to risk missing important emails - so I keep switching back to the main Outlook app, each time giving feedback about the problem. Every week or so I switch back to the new Outlook in the hope that the issue has been fixed, but so far it hasn't.

This seems like such a fundamental problem that I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which makes me wonder whether I'm alone in having this issue. I'm using a work account with Outlook and, to be clear, I don't experience the same issue when I'm using the main Outlook app.

Is anybody else having this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a problem with the app itself?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T16:35:47+00:00

    I'm having the very same issue - having to change folders and go back to the inbox to see the new messages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-30T00:31:40+00:00

    The new Outlook is terrible. Not only is there no way to refresh your inbox, but a sender cannot be blocked by right-clicking. Just when Windows Mail had finally added that very important feature, it's gone on Outlook. Moreover, the awful screen pic cannot be changed. And although my missing folders returned with Outlook, all my contacts are now gone. Major fail. Even my Outlook phone app is better than the new version. Is there any way to upgrade to outlook.office365 for a PC with Windows 10? I downloaded Microsoft 365 (Office), but still cannot upgrade, and it was the free version so I assume it's temporary anyway. Please advise. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-30T00:56:11+00:00

    The advice is to dump every MS email client in favor of a third party solution. Worked like a charm for me. EVERY SINGLE issue I've had with MS's email clients since 2015 has been addressed with a third party option. In my case it is mailbird, but your milage may vary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-16T16:37:48+00:00

    Hi all,

    The Outlook Team recently posted a Roadmap Item that will address your feedback, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=375743 

    Outlook**: Sync feature**

    Rollout Start: February 2024

    A button option to initiate email sync is coming to the new Outlook for Windows and Outlook on the web, this will allow users to ensure that their send and receive email experience is up-to-date. This functionality will be within the View tab of the Ribbon.

    Feature ID: 375743

    Added to roadmap: 1/9/2024

    Last modified: 1/9/2024

    Product(s): Outlook

    Cloud instance(s): Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant)

    Platform(s): Web, Desktop

    Release phase(s): General Availability


    The feature has also been published to the M365 Message Center as MC707650

    Description

    A button option to initiate email sync is coming to the new Microsoft Outlook for Windows and Outlook on the web. This will allow users to ensure that their send and receive email experience is up to date. This functionality will be in the View tab of the Ribbon.

    This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 375743

    [When this will happen:]

    Standard Release: We will begin rolling out in mid-February 2024 and expect to be complete by early March 2024.

    [How this will affect your organization:]

    Users can ensure that their send and receive email experience is up to date by using the new synch button in the View tab of the Ribbon.

    [What you need to do to prepare:]

    There is no action needed to prepare for this change. You may want to notify your users about this change and update any relevant documentation as appropriate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-29T20:19:21+00:00

    Any update on this? It's 2/29/24 and no sync button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments