"New Outlook" preview inbox doesn't refresh

Anonymous
2023-03-29T11:58:46+00:00

I've been using the new Outlook preview (the one you enable by toggling the "Try the new Outlook" switch in the main Outlook app for Windows) and I love it. It's so much faster than the main version.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed that the inbox had stopped updating automatically. I still get notifications that new messages have arrived, and the icon in the task bar indicates that I have unread messages, but when I look at the Outlook window the inbox shows no new messages. I have to click on a different folder and back to the inbox for it to refresh and show the new emails.

Obviously this make the product basically unusable - I can't afford to risk missing important emails - so I keep switching back to the main Outlook app, each time giving feedback about the problem. Every week or so I switch back to the new Outlook in the hope that the issue has been fixed, but so far it hasn't.

This seems like such a fundamental problem that I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which makes me wonder whether I'm alone in having this issue. I'm using a work account with Outlook and, to be clear, I don't experience the same issue when I'm using the main Outlook app.

Is anybody else having this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a problem with the app itself?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-29T21:53:51+00:00

    Unfortunately, Katherine, MSFT has not yet addressed this issue.

    Seeking to address the problem, I have tried numerous setting changes, without success. The sole solution I have found is to click on Drafts or any other sub-directory other than Inbox, and watch for the icon to change or the toaster to pop-up an email message announcement.

    Stay tuned,

    S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T17:55:22+00:00

    Way to go Microsoft. Force push a new email client that doesn't check for email. LOL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T02:40:29+00:00

    Amazing, isn't it? It's been months now...actually it's been years. Ever since they dropped windows live mail, MS has been struggling with an email client.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-05T05:52:27+00:00

    So, the original post was sent in March, and now it's December. Still no resolution. How is this even a usable mail client? Totally useless if you can't see your mail without a roundabout solution. Wow Microsoft, unbelievable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-05T06:02:42+00:00

    LOL. I've been having issues with windows mail and yahoo since 2015, so don't hold your breath. MS treats mail like a rented mule.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments