"New Outlook" preview inbox doesn't refresh

Anonymous
2023-03-29T11:58:46+00:00

I've been using the new Outlook preview (the one you enable by toggling the "Try the new Outlook" switch in the main Outlook app for Windows) and I love it. It's so much faster than the main version.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed that the inbox had stopped updating automatically. I still get notifications that new messages have arrived, and the icon in the task bar indicates that I have unread messages, but when I look at the Outlook window the inbox shows no new messages. I have to click on a different folder and back to the inbox for it to refresh and show the new emails.

Obviously this make the product basically unusable - I can't afford to risk missing important emails - so I keep switching back to the main Outlook app, each time giving feedback about the problem. Every week or so I switch back to the new Outlook in the hope that the issue has been fixed, but so far it hasn't.

This seems like such a fundamental problem that I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which makes me wonder whether I'm alone in having this issue. I'm using a work account with Outlook and, to be clear, I don't experience the same issue when I'm using the main Outlook app.

Is anybody else having this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a problem with the app itself?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T14:10:49+00:00

    Dear PhilipStratford,

    Good day!

    Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to assist you.

    As per the description you have shared, we understand that you have concern with refreshing Inbox folder in New Outlook for Windows Preview version.

    We understand your concern here and thank you for bringing this to our forum, your concern is very meaningful and reasonable but since you are using the new Outlook for Windows preview version and this new Outlook for Windows is still in preview, there might be some gaps in certain features.

    Therefore, please kindly note that, this preview is only available to Office Insiders in Beta Channel or Current Channel (Preview) users. That is, Microsoft released this preview to a small group of users to test the effectiveness of the product before releasing it to the masses; our Product Development Team continuously and intensively collecting feedbacks (any problems encountered while using the product, and valuable suggestions) from certain users who prioritize testing when using the product, based on this, they are working to provide a better product by continually improving the gaps and making it a more convenient product for all users in the future. Therefore, we sincerely thank you for being one of the prioritize user for this product review, as well as for the Feedbacks you mentioned earlier in your original post. Still, we kindly request that you post any issues you may encounter while using this product via the provided in-app feedback section. Our Product Development Team are committed to enhancing the customer experience by continually examining suggestions to include in the design and development of future product upgrades based on your suggestions. Hopefully your suggestion will help many users in the future.

    In the meantime, we will also surely raise your concerns to our Product Development Team and hopefully this can be considered and fixed in the future updates.

    For additional information, you can refer to New Outlook for Windows available to all Office Insiders

    Thank you for your valuable suggestion and understanding. For other questions, feel free to add your post in the Microsoft Community team.

    Stay safe and healthy. Have a good day!

    Sincerely,

    Libeamlak | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T16:02:35+00:00

    I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I understand that as the product is in preview for a limited number of users it is to be expected that there will be bugs and missing features. However, I would have thought that the inbox not updating would be deemed a critical bug to be fixed urgently. Since it hasn't been fixed in several weeks, that's why I'm wondering whether this is, in fact, a bug, or an issue that only I am experiencing. It seems very unlikely to me that everybody who is testing the app is having the same problem since, as I said in my original post, it renders that app almost unusable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-30T09:47:11+00:00

    Dear PhilipStratford,

    Good day!

    Many thanks for your understanding and kind response,

    We do understand your query here but, as you know, since your query related with New Outlook for Windows which released for a limited number of users (office insider and Current Channel(preview) users), So, since Microsoft has specific support channel resource for certain different support scope and attributes, we are belong to Microsoft Forum Community mainly focused on Micrsoft 365 Business Exchange fully released products only. Therefore, we provide some limited knowledge about some aspects of in preview product related scenarios. For in preview products, we have a dedicated team with special expertise in such queries and experienced Office insider users, you may contact them to make sure if other insiders are experiencing this issue or if this issue is from your end. So, would you mind to connect and place your query on our dedicated Results in Microsoft 365 Insider - Microsoft Community? We believe they will give you accurate and efficient solution for your concern, and you can also share your suggestion and experience with them.

    Thank you for your precious time and understanding. For other concerns, please do not hesitate to add your post in the Microsoft Community Team.  

    Stay safe and healthy. 

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,

    Libeamlak | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T00:50:08+00:00

    FWIW I am also having this issue so you are not alone.

    It started a week or two ago.

    Any new emails received are not shown in the Inbox until you change folder and change back e.g. Inbox -> sent -> Inbox

    so at a glance you cannot be confident that there are no new emails or just that it has not refreshed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T18:27:38+00:00

    FWIW, so am it! I just started using it today. Overall, I like where it is going, but because of this issue, I'm going to turn the preview off. For the Microsoft people responding to this, please don't send a canned response. Acknowledge there is a bug, and that you are aware of it, and it will be fixed, or, tell us it isn't a bug. The canned responses make me think your new AI purchase is answering these messages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments