How do I prevent Outlook 365 on the Mac from launching the New Version

Anonymous
2023-04-24T16:04:10+00:00

When I updated to the New Version on my Macbook Pro M1, my database essentially was disabled. All the On My Computer emails were strewn all over the place and it was impossible to move anything. I had to restore my entire computer from Time Machine to get it back.

Now Outlook is threatening once again the New Version when I restart Outlook. How in the world do I prevent this from happening, as it is destructive to client-based email. I can't see a way to disable this.

![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/6a89cef7-148a-48fb-928c-6197a09f0ae5?platform=QnA Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-23T21:28:46+00:00

    Sorry, I did receive instructions to fix this issue and I never posted it!

    Here are the instructions for the Mac:

    Outlook Fix: 

    If you do not wish to see the prompt anymore, please Quit Outlook and follow the below instructions - 

    1. Open Terminal (this can be searched from Spotlight located at the top right)
    2. Type in the commands as under - 

    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 0 

    1. After which, hit enter in Terminal

    This should disable New Outlook and the prompts for it. 

    If you wish to enable New Outlook switch, follow the same procedure but instead of the command shared above, type the below - 

    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 1

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T23:39:42+00:00

    Has anyone tried this work around? Does it work? Are local folders kept?

    Will this prevent updates to Outlook from loading?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T03:09:41+00:00

    This is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can MS create a product that users are being FORCED to the new version. I HATE the new version!!!!!!!!

    Attention PRODUCT TEAM - LISTEN TO YOUR USERS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-23T01:44:33+00:00

    I agree. This is extremely frustrating. Each time Outlook has, on its own, switched me to New Outlook, I have lost emails. The missing emails do not appear in my Deleted Items folder, my Archive, or anywhere else. I don't trust New Outlook at all. But every time I turn off New Outlook and then update Outlook, it automatically starts in New Outlook and emails once again disappear from my inbox.

    Microsoft, you need to fix New Outlook!

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-23T03:18:04+00:00

    Knowing the past history of MS when it comes to end user complaints, I would be very surprised if they will listen to any of us on this forum. They will continue to do what they want to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments