How do I prevent Outlook 365 on the Mac from launching the New Version

Anonymous
2023-04-24T16:04:10+00:00

When I updated to the New Version on my Macbook Pro M1, my database essentially was disabled. All the On My Computer emails were strewn all over the place and it was impossible to move anything. I had to restore my entire computer from Time Machine to get it back.

Now Outlook is threatening once again the New Version when I restart Outlook. How in the world do I prevent this from happening, as it is destructive to client-based email. I can't see a way to disable this.

![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/6a89cef7-148a-48fb-928c-6197a09f0ae5?platform=QnA Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-19T18:36:59+00:00

    So I found a workaround that for the time being does what people want and restores the old Mail and Calendar, but it only does so until the next windows update is forced onto the system and it once again force installs Outlook (New) without permission from the users; don't get me wrong they own the windows files and such, but they do not own my storage mediums; so they don't have permission to trespass their data onto my device storage and I think there needs to be a class action lawsuit against them and many other companies for installing things in the background without permissions. Nothing should install on your system without you expressly giving it permission; no more of this "implied consent" because you use the OS; the OS is a monopoly and they shouldn't be given rights for that.

    I'd highly suggest downloading the installer for Mail and Calendar first from the MS website here: https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9WZDNCRFHVQM?hl=en-US&gl=USKeep that file handy because you'll need it.

    Steps:

    1. Uninstall the most recent windows feature update (generally called cumulative updates)
    2. Uninstall Outlook (New)
    3. Go into Microsoft Store and disable automatic updates for apps
    4. Run the Mail and Calendar installer
    5. Use it until the next Cumulative Update breaks it again

    It's truly evil that they are forcing Outlook on people that don't want it. It's completely disorganized and an absolutely terrible program as a whole; but they want to be able to say "look at all these people that switched to Outlook" because right now NEXT TO NO ONE DOES, FOR A REASON, BECAUSE IT'S BAD!

    MS needs to get their collective heads out of their keisters and start listening to people before people jump ship and start using macs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T10:09:26+00:00

    Really very much need to avoid the forced update.. It is a total disturbance. Nothing is right. The sorting and organization of accounts and emails is ignored and all emails on the server are dumped into the main feed. I don't have time for this.

    Perhaps if there was a more orderly transition? I understand there may be more features and cohesive flows with the online version, but I don't use this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T21:55:01+00:00

    Sorry, I did receive instructions to fix this issue and I never posted it!

    Here are the instructions for the Mac:

    Outlook Fix: 

    If you do not wish to see the prompt anymore, please Quit Outlook and follow the below instructions - 

    1. Open Terminal (this can be searched from Spotlight located at the top right)
    2. Type in the commands as under - 

    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 0 

    1. After which, hit enter in Terminal

    This should disable New Outlook and the prompts for it. 

    If you wish to enable New Outlook switch, follow the same procedure but instead of the command shared above, type the below - 

    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook EnableNewOutlook -int 1 

    This worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments