How do I prevent Outlook 365 on the Mac from launching the New Version

Anonymous
2023-04-24T16:04:10+00:00

When I updated to the New Version on my Macbook Pro M1, my database essentially was disabled. All the On My Computer emails were strewn all over the place and it was impossible to move anything. I had to restore my entire computer from Time Machine to get it back.

Now Outlook is threatening once again the New Version when I restart Outlook. How in the world do I prevent this from happening, as it is destructive to client-based email. I can't see a way to disable this.

![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/6a89cef7-148a-48fb-928c-6197a09f0ae5?platform=QnA Thank you.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-29T07:50:53+00:00

    I have 2 identical MBP M1 and this has not happened to me. I got errors at first when I tried to use the command. Next I prefixed it with sudo and I have never had the annoying message appear again.

    In case you are not faniliar with sudo, here a litle explanation: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/terminal/apd5b0b6259-a7d4-4435-947d-0dff528912ba/mac#:~:text=To%20run%20commands%20with%20superuser,password%20of%20the%20current%20user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-28T17:14:11+00:00

    Has anyone else had the following problem?

    I have 2 identical Mac Studios running the same macOS and Office for Mac. I entered, successfully, the Terminal command that was posted here. One of the Mac Studios two days ago when Outlook started popped up with that message the '... next time Outlook starts the new version will be started ...'. I then re-entered the Terminal command again on this computer. Luckily this worked again and this computer is still running the old Outlook. Do I have to constantly enter this Terminal command periodically? Is there something MS is doing that overwrites this command?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-28T06:39:32+00:00

    I would just like to add my voice to the swell of protest at this very invasive "time bomb" . My experience with the new Outlook has been time wasting, harrowing and not a positive one. Almost changed over clients as I has to reinstate a host of email accounts manually. Precious time wasted by an upgrade that failed to deliver-BIG TIME. Now to tell me that you will regularly make my decision for me and rob me of choice- that is not a good look Microsoft. This is especially so as your upgrade is a deeply flawed product. Release a version of Outlook that works, doesn't chew emails, doesn't mess up settings-then I might upgrade.

    Thanks to RandallPacker for proving the terminal fix. Shouldn't have been necessary.

    I soooooo agree. but typical for MS. Let the costumer do the testing. Is cheaper. And yes thanks RandallPacker, I got it to work in the end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-28T05:57:36+00:00

    I would just like to add my voice to the swell of protest at this very invasive "time bomb" . My experience with the new Outlook has been time wasting, harrowing and not a positive one. Almost changed over clients as I has to reinstate a host of email accounts manually. Precious time wasted by an upgrade that failed to deliver-BIG TIME. Now to tell me that you will regularly make my decision for me and rob me of choice- that is not a good look Microsoft. This is especially so as your upgrade is a deeply flawed product. Release a version of Outlook that works, doesn't chew emails, doesn't mess up settings-then I might upgrade.

    Thanks to RandallPacker for proving the terminal fix. Shouldn't have been necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-19T11:49:42+00:00

    If the script isn't working, I suggest you contact Microsoft support, they are actually fairly responsive.

    Thnaks for your post.

    Really? What secret phone number do you have? My experience is like you are dealing with amateurs that have no clue. some topics I ran with them vor 6 or more months without results. And the suggestions they make are at times a laugh if you have any idea as to how to use your Mac and what happens under the bonnet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments