NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T13:15:32+00:00

    I agree with all the comments here. This preiew is a waste of time. When I click on an attachment, I want it opened in the native program so I can work on it! the 'new' editor is awful too! All my autocorrect shortcuts for words no longer work. Why did they have to mess with it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T03:17:42+00:00

    I hate the "New" Outlook! No useful interaction with installed MS Apps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T14:27:38+00:00

    Now to have co pilot and for it to "work" you need "new Outlook"

    What a pain

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T16:40:11+00:00

    Destroyed my workflow.....horrible update forced on us in order to have co-pilot. Bad enough that I'll switch to other products if this remains.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-12T14:48:31+00:00

    I switched back to the old version and I'll be staying there until this is resolved. I'm not sure why I would want to have a download step before actually being able to have a proper look at the attachment? The preview functionality is also extremely limited (at least for PDF:s which is the most common attachments for me), but even with more functionality to it, I would want to be able to get to the app of my choise immediately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments