NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T20:57:32+00:00

    The new Outlook preview is un-fortunately causing un-necessary wasted time in my work day. If this is a feature important to the new Outlook, then at the very least add a "Click button" on the preview screen to allow the attachment to port over to the APP of choice.

    The default preview for PDF does not even have the basic zoom function which I need all to often. I use REVU as my goto PDF reader, which I need for at least 60% of the pdf attachments I receive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T12:15:47+00:00

    Who on Earth at Microsoft signed off on this as preview or RTM version? It's make email workflow a lot more complex and strained and I don't see the logic. Nothing has improved and proposed solutions do not work. Attachments are a big part of my work, so being unable to save them makes Outlook pointless. Please fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T16:00:23+00:00

    Same here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-23T16:00:20+00:00

    no error message...just won't open

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-24T01:09:33+00:00

    Unfortunately, they're going to force us to migrate on 1/1/24. I'm trying to learn to deal with it now, but it's a huge pain the behind.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments