NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-17T10:58:47+00:00

    This is the most ridiculous update. Why would I want to download a document just to open it in the desktop app. I am already previewing the document, so give me the next option, to open it in the specified app. You took away a capability, then to be able to perform the same capability you've taken away, you've added a step to accomplish it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T20:20:01+00:00

    I have the same problem although it is with any email program, not just Outlook. Any time that I try to open an email attachment, File Explorer opens and I am forced to save the document just to then go back and open the document from File Explorer. Why can I not open the email attachment directly into the app? This is not some obscure file. These are .pdfs, or Excel, or Word files and I have the apps installed to open them. I have also check the file associations in Settings and they are correctly identified. How can this be fixed to allow me to open a file directly into the app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-13T10:34:49+00:00

    Having the same issue here. VERY frustrating. Web versions of office programs are truly awful.

    Has anyone found a way to turn this off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-15T08:42:41+00:00

    This seems a crazy update. Have gone back to old version until there is a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T18:10:56+00:00

    Absolutely insane. Making me less efficient with each upgrade... Monopoly decisions made over workflow decisions are the worst.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments