NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T18:02:19+00:00

    Also, when you try to save anything now It forces you to save to the cloud. it has been where you had to jump through a hoop first to still save to your computer, now they have removed that and want to force you to save to their cloud where they can charge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T03:48:26+00:00

    Delete Edge, run outlook and set your preferred browser and it will stop. Microsoft will more than likely get slapped for this, just will take a while.

    They want to force you to use edge.

    Hey Kip,

    Thank you for the tip. I have given this a try, however, sadly it has made no change.

    Whenever I try to open an attachment from an email, it still only opens it in the preview window with the email on the side and not using the desktop app as the full release desktop Outlook does.

    Looks like this is intentional and that they've decided to remove that feature for whatever reason from the pre-release outlook.

    Whenever I go back to the desktop outlook it works fine using the desktop app to open attachments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-25T14:13:59+00:00

    Why Microsoft? I tried the New Outlook, and I am not impressed. The "final straw" which caused me to switch back is the EXTRA STEP I HAVE TO TAKE TO OPEN AN ATTACHMENT IN THE ASSOCIATED APPLICATION. Please fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-07T14:15:26+00:00

    Microsoft you have made Outlook less efficient! I can no longer just drag and drop an attachment into file explorer. I now have to download and then drag from the download folder. This is an added step and waste of my time. Not to mention that I can't even open an attachment in my default program by double clicking on an attachment. No one asked for a preview window to half view attachments!

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-06T01:49:12+00:00

    this bug, not feature, needs to change, and when we pay for a desktop version of a program - it needs to function. Open attachments in their respective programs when we have them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments