NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T03:48:26+00:00

    Delete Edge, run outlook and set your preferred browser and it will stop. Microsoft will more than likely get slapped for this, just will take a while.

    They want to force you to use edge.

    Hey Kip,

    Thank you for the tip. I have given this a try, however, sadly it has made no change.

    Whenever I try to open an attachment from an email, it still only opens it in the preview window with the email on the side and not using the desktop app as the full release desktop Outlook does.

    Looks like this is intentional and that they've decided to remove that feature for whatever reason from the pre-release outlook.

    Whenever I go back to the desktop outlook it works fine using the desktop app to open attachments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T18:02:19+00:00

    Also, when you try to save anything now It forces you to save to the cloud. it has been where you had to jump through a hoop first to still save to your computer, now they have removed that and want to force you to save to their cloud where they can charge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T17:53:42+00:00

    Delete Edge, run outlook and set your preferred browser and it will stop. Microsoft will more than likely get slapped for this, just will take a while.

    They want to force you to use edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T05:15:35+00:00

    Has there been a resolution to this? I also have the same issue when single or double clicking a PDF attachment in an email for example, it only opens in the preview window, not through the desktop PDF app as the full release Outlook does. I have to download the attachment then open it on my desktop for it to use default PDF desktop app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-05T10:46:31+00:00

    I am also facing the same issue. When I double click the attachment in "New Outlook" (say a PDF file which I received as an attachment), it is opening in the viewer and only after downloading it is opening in the connected app/ program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments