NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-24T13:11:48+00:00

    This is the WORST update in the history of Microsoft. The fact that you cannot open files direclty and have to engage in several more steps to open a file is a deal breaker. Shame on you Microsoft. DEI (Didn't Earn It) programers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-20T18:14:39+00:00

    Same complaint here. Seems like every time I bring myself to use this application, I find things more difficult to work with. I want attachments in desktop applications. Why do updates seem to make products worse than they were twenty years ago? I need function, not form.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T18:10:56+00:00

    Absolutely insane. Making me less efficient with each upgrade... Monopoly decisions made over workflow decisions are the worst.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-15T08:42:41+00:00

    This seems a crazy update. Have gone back to old version until there is a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-03T03:48:26+00:00

    Delete Edge, run outlook and set your preferred browser and it will stop. Microsoft will more than likely get slapped for this, just will take a while.

    They want to force you to use edge.

    Hey Kip,

    Thank you for the tip. I have given this a try, however, sadly it has made no change.

    Whenever I try to open an attachment from an email, it still only opens it in the preview window with the email on the side and not using the desktop app as the full release desktop Outlook does.

    Looks like this is intentional and that they've decided to remove that feature for whatever reason from the pre-release outlook.

    Whenever I go back to the desktop outlook it works fine using the desktop app to open attachments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments