NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-01T13:45:58+00:00

    Tammy, thanks for the quick response. I've re-migrated my Classic Outlook settings, but the attachment behavior hasn't changed; i.e. both single-clicking and double-clicking an attachment opens the associated Outlook viewer. See below for screenshots from Step Recorder:

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T05:15:35+00:00

    Has there been a resolution to this? I also have the same issue when single or double clicking a PDF attachment in an email for example, it only opens in the preview window, not through the desktop PDF app as the full release Outlook does. I have to download the attachment then open it on my desktop for it to use default PDF desktop app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T14:43:23+00:00

    I went back to the old Outlook a month ago. In my experience with my needs? the old Outlook is 100% better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T03:17:42+00:00

    I hate the "New" Outlook! No useful interaction with installed MS Apps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T12:15:47+00:00

    Who on Earth at Microsoft signed off on this as preview or RTM version? It's make email workflow a lot more complex and strained and I don't see the logic. Nothing has improved and proposed solutions do not work. Attachments are a big part of my work, so being unable to save them makes Outlook pointless. Please fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments