NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-25T14:13:59+00:00

    Why Microsoft? I tried the New Outlook, and I am not impressed. The "final straw" which caused me to switch back is the EXTRA STEP I HAVE TO TAKE TO OPEN AN ATTACHMENT IN THE ASSOCIATED APPLICATION. Please fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-07T14:15:26+00:00

    Microsoft you have made Outlook less efficient! I can no longer just drag and drop an attachment into file explorer. I now have to download and then drag from the download folder. This is an added step and waste of my time. Not to mention that I can't even open an attachment in my default program by double clicking on an attachment. No one asked for a preview window to half view attachments!

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-06T01:49:12+00:00

    this bug, not feature, needs to change, and when we pay for a desktop version of a program - it needs to function. Open attachments in their respective programs when we have them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-17T10:58:47+00:00

    This is the most ridiculous update. Why would I want to download a document just to open it in the desktop app. I am already previewing the document, so give me the next option, to open it in the specified app. You took away a capability, then to be able to perform the same capability you've taken away, you've added a step to accomplish it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-05T10:46:31+00:00

    I am also facing the same issue. When I double click the attachment in "New Outlook" (say a PDF file which I received as an attachment), it is opening in the viewer and only after downloading it is opening in the connected app/ program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments