Can't move new email to on my computer folders

Anonymous
2023-05-31T23:41:19+00:00

Updated to the New Outlook for Mac 16.73.1. I can't move new inbox or sent emails to my many On My Computer folders. They don't highlight in the sidebar when an email is dragged over like they do in the account sidebar files. How to fix? Many thanks

<Changed to a question>

<Original title: candy move new email to on my computer folders>

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-11T01:06:20+00:00

    As of 2024-04-06 I confirm in Outlook version 16.83.2 the same problem. Any attempts to move or copy the email to the "On My Computer" folders results in the message looking like it is moving or copying OK but, when I immediately look in the destination folder, it is there for just a few seconds before disappearing. The source mailbox retains the message regardless of whether the attempt was to copy or move the message.

    This was only tried in the newer Outlook, not the legacy version. I am an IT guy trying to resolve this for a client. I tried phoning Microsoft for support but they just redirect all enquiries to help.microsoft.com which redirects to these pages which don't help. When did Microsoft last post a solution to this?

    The solution is to no longer use 'On My Computer' folders for archiving or use a different email client. Mac users can better use Mac Mail app.

    Edit on 2025-01-19: To switch to using the Apple Mac Mail app I still needed to get all the 'On My Computer' folders exported. Since the export function for the folders is absent (another 'feature' of the new Outlook) I moved all the mail from these folders to newly created equivalent folders in the IMAP (now Exchange?) section. This allowed exporting the archived mail so all mail could then be exported and imported into Apple Mail app. Given the constant trouble over the years with Outlook, I think this is the best long term solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T07:12:43+00:00

    I just updated Outlook to 16.81 (24011420) and lo and behold this seems to have been fixed? Is anyone else seeing that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T16:21:31+00:00

    I have the same problem as every one else as far as saving email files to my local drive on my computer. I switched to legacy and it still won't work for me. HELP THIS NEEDS FIXED!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-10T13:34:57+00:00

    I had this problem but clicked on Help in outlook and there is an option to revert to the legacy outlook. I can now move emails from my inbox to sub folders of 'on my computer'

    Hope that helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-11T01:14:16+00:00

    I have the same issue. Using Outlook for Mac 16.74.2 running on Ventura 13.4.1.

    Interestingly, in my Work profile I have a Microsoft account from which I am able to move the emails to folders on My Computer but the iCloud account emails am not able to move.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments