Outlook desktop client emails missing text in body

Anonymous
2021-05-11T19:46:55+00:00

I have Outlook downloaded from my Office 365 subscription and am running Outlook on a Windows 10 PC.

Today, around five hours after I started working, the text in the body of the email stopped showing, either all missing or just showing the first line.

When I look in the reading pane, all I see is "Hi Bee," and then nothing else. I have checked the emails on my iPhone 7 Outlook and Mail apps, and the body of the message is showing correctly.

I have disabled all COM Add-ins and I have run the full repair on the application, closed down the PC and restarted after a one minute break but still, it doesn't show correctly.

Any help gratefully received!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T20:21:54+00:00

    You Rock!!!!  Fixed (or un-updated...).  Use this at elevated prompt:

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.20462

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T20:20:38+00:00

    OMG I'm seeing lots of people have the same issue in Outlook today, yet no fix. Thinking it was just me, I tried a repair, which ended up uninstalling my entire Office suite. I had to re-install it, and it seems Word is fine, but Outlook still is doing weird things like erasing text, not showing more than a few words of an email, starting replies halfway down the page and then erasing them, etc. Is this related to the update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T20:20:34+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem. I am Outlook through a 365 subscription and the body of text in all emails is missing.

    This is happening on my desktop and my laptop but I can see the emails properly in my phone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T20:15:31+00:00

    The solution is to roll back the latest update. 

    Open Elevated Command Prompt and paste this: 

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.20462

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more