Hide On My Computer folders checked and grayed out

Anonymous
2020-03-17T21:53:35+00:00

Microsoft Outlook for Mac version 16.35

I have folders created under "On My Computer" and it's been working fine until last week, when I don't see "On My Computer" in the Sidebar anymore.

When I go to Preferences => General, the Hide On My Computer folders is checked and grayed out.  How do I un-grayed it out?

When I search for an email that is stored in one of the folders in On My Computer, I can see it and even manually move it to Inbox on the exchange server.  So I know the emails in On My Computer are there and not lost/corrupted.  I just can't go to the On My Computer folder.  Is this a permission problem?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-27T17:03:42+00:00

Had the same issue. The only thing that seem to work for me, was turning OFF the "New outlook" feature.

You should be able to unhide "On My Computer":

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-27T06:16:13+00:00

just did the upgarde and had same isue

you can use the TOGGLE to go back to older outlook its a switch at the top right of the OUTLOOK screen.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-24T23:24:30+00:00

    Hi Zulfi,

    The Mac has a utility called Terminal, it's similar to the Command Line utility on Windows. You open it up and type the command there and hit enter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T16:32:11+00:00

    I've tried reverting to the old Outlook on my Mac with no luck - the box is still greyed out. I also had someone from my IT team look at it and try forcing the value to "false" for that preference via Terminal and it didn't impact the checkbox at all.

    Is this possibly a setting managed by my IT team via MCX since it isn't possible to change or force it locally? If so, is there a support article I can view that covers setting this preference with MCX I can send my IT team?

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-17T16:39:15+00:00

    I'm running version 16.50 and this command does not work. I posted a question below about this, but could it be the case that this setting cannot be changed via the UI or forced via Terminal because this setting is controlled via MCX (I'm a corporate user)?

    I do have admin permissions on my MacBook Air, so am not sure why this would command would not work since it's impacting user / device specific preferences.

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments