Hide On My Computer folders checked and grayed out

Anonymous
2020-03-17T21:53:35+00:00

Microsoft Outlook for Mac version 16.35

I have folders created under "On My Computer" and it's been working fine until last week, when I don't see "On My Computer" in the Sidebar anymore.

When I go to Preferences => General, the Hide On My Computer folders is checked and grayed out.  How do I un-grayed it out?

When I search for an email that is stored in one of the folders in On My Computer, I can see it and even manually move it to Inbox on the exchange server.  So I know the emails in On My Computer are there and not lost/corrupted.  I just can't go to the On My Computer folder.  Is this a permission problem?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-27T17:03:42+00:00

Had the same issue. The only thing that seem to work for me, was turning OFF the "New outlook" feature.

You should be able to unhide "On My Computer":

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-27T06:16:13+00:00

just did the upgarde and had same isue

you can use the TOGGLE to go back to older outlook its a switch at the top right of the OUTLOOK screen.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T13:45:08+00:00

    Jim,

    New Outlook slider at upper right is set to "Off". Last week that meant I had access to "On My Computer" but now I no longer have access to "On My Computer".

    Outlook for Mac Version 16.42 (20101102)

    And of course I have restarted my Mac to address. This changed nothing.

    I appreciate your quick response but what's the next step because we've both covered the obvious troubleshooting and I am still without access to my emails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-22T09:25:58+00:00

    It sounds like you switched to "New Outlook."  New Outlook is a light version of Outlook. Switch back to the full version by sliding the control in the upper right corner. Set "New Outlook" to Off.

    With all due respect, how are Contact Lists not considered a must-have feature for any email client? I get that "New Outlook" is a lean/mean/de-bloated version of the old Outlook, but seriously, no Contact Lists? :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2020-10-21T15:55:54+00:00

    HI Jason,

    Please look in the upper right corner. You may have been automatically switched to "New Outlook." If the setting is set to Off, have you tried simply restarting your Mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments