Hide On My Computer folders checked and grayed out

Anonymous
2020-03-17T21:53:35+00:00

Microsoft Outlook for Mac version 16.35

I have folders created under "On My Computer" and it's been working fine until last week, when I don't see "On My Computer" in the Sidebar anymore.

When I go to Preferences => General, the Hide On My Computer folders is checked and grayed out.  How do I un-grayed it out?

When I search for an email that is stored in one of the folders in On My Computer, I can see it and even manually move it to Inbox on the exchange server.  So I know the emails in On My Computer are there and not lost/corrupted.  I just can't go to the On My Computer folder.  Is this a permission problem?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-01-27T17:03:42+00:00

Had the same issue. The only thing that seem to work for me, was turning OFF the "New outlook" feature.

You should be able to unhide "On My Computer":

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-27T06:16:13+00:00

just did the upgarde and had same isue

you can use the TOGGLE to go back to older outlook its a switch at the top right of the OUTLOOK screen.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T17:04:28+00:00

    Appreciate the tip but doesn't work on the new Outlook (tried it with "... false" too just for kicks). 

    It seems like this is hardwired into new Outlook to not be supported. If I remember right, there's even a message about it the first time you switch to new Outlook warning you that it will happen. But no information as to how you can emulate the same functionality in new Outlook (e.g. custom mailing lists).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-13T15:11:03+00:00

    Use this command on terminal :

    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook HideFoldersOnMyComputerRootInFolderList -bool true

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-06T19:29:48+00:00

    We are experiencing the same issues. We are on version 16.44.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments