The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window

Anonymous
2020-03-13T16:11:30+00:00

I'm getting the error message below when save a draft email. I have IMAP account set up on Outlook 365.

"The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window.  Do you want to make a copy in the default folder for the item?"

Thanks,

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-13T17:38:53+00:00

Hi Pittman,

Thank you for posting. This is known issue. Our Outlook team is actively investigating this problem. In the meantime, you may please use the workaround mentioned in the article Unable to save changes to a draft email in Draft folder for IMAP accounts

Regarding this we would truly appreciate your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Shyamal

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-21T23:46:45+00:00

    Hi Paul

    Thanks for your post.

    I went to try it out and Outlook was not acting in a consistent way.  I opened an item that I had not previously opened that I knew would contain pictures.  It opened with the pictures already downloaded. 

    As I have just had an Office update, I wondered if this had screwed up the setting.  Went to Options but I could not find where the setting is.

    I tried opening another email that I had not previously opened, but from a few days ago.  It opened without the pictures showing.  I downloaded them and then closed the item.  It did not ask if I wanted to save the pictures.  It just closed.  Opening it again and the pictures are there.

    I tried an even older email and it opened with the pictures downloaded.

    Tried another one.  No pictures.  Closed and opened.  Still no pictures.  Downloaded pictures.  Closed.  No message asking if I wanted to save them.  Opened again and there they were.

    As I say, this is not consistent.

    Thanks again, Paul

    Cheers

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-28T00:12:41+00:00

    Further to the foregoing.

    Today I downloaded pictures and the wouldn't save.

    But clicking the icon did work.

    Still inconsistent, but at least I have your work around for which I am grateful.

    Tanks

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-24T02:34:59+00:00

    Besides the inabillity to fix an issue for years, the capability of Microsofts Support Team to provide always the most inappropriate solutions and workarounds is just mind-blowing.

    For everybody looking for a real workaround, this is the solution:

    1. Head over to "Outlook Options"
    2. Switch to the "Mail" tab on the left hand side and
    3. scroll down to section: "Replies and forwards"
    4. Check the checkbox where it says: "Open replies and forwards in a new window"

    From now on replies, forwards and new messages will be directly saved to the drafts folder and won't be displayed any longer in the Inbox (where they don't belong... yeah I know, the usability is waaaaay better that way... sure, we see the outcome.)

    Sugdeek,

    You are so right. Microsoft has been saying 'this is a known issue' for years now. How stupid do they think we are?

    Anyway - your suggestion worked perfectly on my desktop. 

    Thanks so much to bring closure to a very annoying feature.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-24T05:44:04+00:00

    Not for me, I already had that setting enabled and been having the problem for a long time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments