The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window

Anonymous
2020-03-13T16:11:30+00:00

I'm getting the error message below when save a draft email. I have IMAP account set up on Outlook 365.

"The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window.  Do you want to make a copy in the default folder for the item?"

Thanks,

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-13T17:38:53+00:00

Hi Pittman,

Thank you for posting. This is known issue. Our Outlook team is actively investigating this problem. In the meantime, you may please use the workaround mentioned in the article Unable to save changes to a draft email in Draft folder for IMAP accounts

Regarding this we would truly appreciate your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Shyamal

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-03T01:31:55+00:00

    This work around is unrelated to the issue I experience.

    Also the answer says that the Outlook team are working on it.  It has been an issue for years.  How much longer do we have to wait for a fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-14T15:27:54+00:00

    Besides the inabillity to fix an issue for years, the capability of Microsofts Support Team to provide always the most inappropriate solutions and workarounds is just mind-blowing.

    For everybody looking for a real workaround, this is the solution:

    1. Head over to "Outlook Options"
    2. Switch to the "Mail" tab on the left hand side and
    3. scroll down to section: "Replies and forwards"
    4. Check the checkbox where it says: "Open replies and forwards in a new window"

    From now on replies, forwards and new messages will be directly saved to the drafts folder and won't be displayed any longer in the Inbox (where they don't belong... yeah I know, the usability is waaaaay better that way... sure, we see the outcome.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-14T22:44:50+00:00

    Hi Shyamal

    This also happens when you have pictures set not to download by default.  And then you download the pictures and try to save the email.

    I expect the Outlook team knows about this too.

    It has been a problem for years.  Can you advise what priority it as for the Outlook Team, and when we may expect a fix?

    Best wishes

    Stay safe

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-18T13:40:09+00:00

    Hi,

    Many people tell you that your workaround doesn't work.

    Forgive me, but I find it hard to believe that Microsoft is actually working on a solution. I have a feeling that if Microsoft really wanted to fix the problem, the problem would be given a higher priority and it would be fixed.

    I mention further, that I do not use IMAP. I have been using Exchange and the problem has been around forever and has been annoying for as long as I can remember.

    It would be much appreciated if anyone could see that there are multiple customers experiencing this inconvenience and if Microsoft would be willing to increase the priority of this issue.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments