Unified Inbox in Outlook 2020?

Anonymous
2020-09-07T20:00:01+00:00

I have been waiting 10 years for a unified inbox in outlook on windows.  I use outlook 5 hours a day with 10+ mailboxes (I am a consultant for several companies)

So about 5 years ago, I switched to mac, just because Apple outlook has unified inbox, sent mail etc.

Now My mac is getting too slow and too full (they come with small SSDs and no upgrade options). I don't want another mac, I want to buy a windows pc, but cant, as outlook on windows has no unified box.

In 10 years of office upgrades and new versions, they have not implemented a single useful new feature (for me as an IT professional anyway).  I would go so far as to say I would not notice the difference in functionality between office 2010 and the currently office 365.  In 10 years they could have added the one critical missing feature.  I can only assume that Microsoft do not add this feature to force people with many active mailboxes to buy Macs to run microsoft office.  Perhaps Apple pay the Microsoft Office team in brown envelopes to keep the windows version of outlook crippled?

I have tried all the unified inbox hacks.  None work properly.

If I was a microsoft developer, I would create an outlook plugin which implemented unified inbox and sent mail box and make a fortune.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T21:02:26+00:00

     They all just go straight to the chosen inbox.

    Interesting.  Does Sent mail and drafts also get unified into this "account"?

    I assume we should create a new dummy email address to be the unification one, not an existing one which might get confusing?  What is your default maibox?  Mine is Microsoft 365 account so that all my devices (mac, ipad, iphone, windows pcs etc) get the same synchronized calendar and address book (I use my exchange account as the glue between all these systems, but I cant use outlook on windows with it ironically due to the missing (for 15 years) unified inbox/sent mail/drafts etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T21:23:38+00:00

    So far, it seems to behave exactly as a unified inbox.  Sent and deleted mail all goes to the same folders under the "unified" email address.

    You could set up a dummy email, but it would only be to help your thought processes, not to manage the account.  Because I was experimenting, I used a generic address that I'd never used for anything, but you can still set your default email independently (as the "from" when you click an email link, for example), and Outlook still replies from whichever address received the message.  As far as I can tell, you could pick any email you have, for any reason that makes sense to you.  I could make an argument for using your default email or maybe, like me, you've got an old email that you keep mainly to use to fill in for forms that might make you a spam target or one that just doesn't do much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-18T21:36:58+00:00

    An alternative to Thunderbird has been a recurring quest of mine for years, and I returned to it this evening.  The unified inbox thing has been a big hangup with Outlook, so I came across this thread.  After experimenting a bit, I seem to have found a satisfactory solution, but feel like I must be missing something, given the other comments and the fact that I didn't find this answer anywhere.

    If I go to Account Settings and click on the Email tab, I see a list of all the emails I've added to Outlook.  At the bottom is a "Change Folder" button that corresponds with each email address as I click on it.  From what I can tell, I can use this button to send the mail from all of my email addresses to a single inbox.  So, I pick my default Outlook address, which doesn't receive any mail, and all of the emails from all my addresses go to that inbox.

    Furthermore, it looks like as I go through those emails, if I hit reply, it automatically replies using the correct address.  

    So, basically, whatever email address I pick as the default, I just send all addresses to that inbox, and that becomes my unified inbox.

    Is there some reason this isn't a workable solution?

    I just re-read this.  It seems like maybe MS has sneaked this in.  It seems like you can pipe mail into any box you want then.  For me I use emclient and I like the all inboxes, sent, trash, unread as unified boxes.  I can easily hop between 3 accounts and have nothing routed.  I am using an O365 account, a Gmail account and a hotmail account without any issues.

    EMC just updated to release 8 and its gotten even better.  Further email is stored in a SQLlite DB and I can use the data from my client applications.  For instance I have a keyboard launcher that knows how to read my contacts table and I wrote an addin to search by name, then hit enter to dial, which launches the call on my Yealink IP desk phone.

    I wonder if its time for another match with outlook?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-02T22:47:08+00:00

    You must only be using POP3.  There is no ‘Change Folder’ option with IMAP accounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-02T23:00:02+00:00

    Yes, although that's been my experience with unified inboxes generally, at least the way I've set them up before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments