Can't open Shared mailbox on mobile device, works on every other client.

Anonymous
2021-06-15T13:20:37+00:00

We want to share mailboxes with 'Least privilege' principle.

So when creating a shared mailbox instead of making users Owner we want to assign only permissions on the necessary folders.

With a PowerShell session to Exchange Online we make the following changes:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\ -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\Inbox -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

This works fine with Outlook Web App and Outlook desktop client. We can add the shared folder and read the messages.

But when we try to add a shared folder on a Outlook Mobile client we get an error:

Authentication failed

That didn't work. You may not have the right permissions to add this mailbox or this mailbox doesn't exist.

Also added permission directly on the mailbox:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest -User ******@contoso.com -AccessRights ReadPermission

But that didn't make a difference.

It must be possible to delegate folder permissions. It works for default clients, but it refuses to work on mobile Outlook unless I give the user Owner permissions, but that is not 'Least privilege'.
What I'm I missing here or did I stumble on a bug in Outlook Mobile?

(It has to be Outlook mobile client on cell phones)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-11T17:42:53+00:00

    I just tested and you're right, still broken.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-11T20:15:33+00:00

    Thanks Mike. Where did you log the issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-11T20:23:57+00:00

    9/11/2021 PST 1:23PM and still having this issue. Any word on this? I would hate to have to convert the sharedmailboxes back to mailboxes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-12T11:36:52+00:00

    Same Problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-12T13:50:05+00:00

    Same problem here.
    I just downloaded Microsoft Outlook on a brand new phone and can't add shared mailboxes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments