Can't open Shared mailbox on mobile device, works on every other client.

Anonymous
2021-06-15T13:20:37+00:00

We want to share mailboxes with 'Least privilege' principle.

So when creating a shared mailbox instead of making users Owner we want to assign only permissions on the necessary folders.

With a PowerShell session to Exchange Online we make the following changes:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\ -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\Inbox -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

This works fine with Outlook Web App and Outlook desktop client. We can add the shared folder and read the messages.

But when we try to add a shared folder on a Outlook Mobile client we get an error:

Authentication failed

That didn't work. You may not have the right permissions to add this mailbox or this mailbox doesn't exist.

Also added permission directly on the mailbox:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest -User ******@contoso.com -AccessRights ReadPermission

But that didn't make a difference.

It must be possible to delegate folder permissions. It works for default clients, but it refuses to work on mobile Outlook unless I give the user Owner permissions, but that is not 'Least privilege'.
What I'm I missing here or did I stumble on a bug in Outlook Mobile?

(It has to be Outlook mobile client on cell phones)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T15:47:24+00:00

    I have same problem.

    I try install old version of Outlook apk. But problem still persist. I try disconect from Intune and configure Outlook, but problem still persist.

    The shared mailbox in the mobile app worked properly. Unfortunately, I needed to test something, so I deleted my Outlook data, then re-added my account, and I can't add a shared mailbox in any way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T15:38:20+00:00

    same issue here, please fix asap

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T15:34:27+00:00

    Obviously not a problem, it's a feature. Please get it solved soon. The shared mailbox problem makes the mobile app worthless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T15:24:55+00:00

    Same issue here. Outlook app on mobiles no longer works adding shared mailboxes. Same error.

    Only a licensing prohibition from MS prevents me setting a password on the shared mailbox and adding it as a new email account. Can we get clarification if MS will allow us this workaround legally in the meantime as its still broken?

    Pete

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments