Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Where can i find this article?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
We want to share mailboxes with 'Least privilege' principle.
So when creating a shared mailbox instead of making users Owner we want to assign only permissions on the necessary folders.
With a PowerShell session to Exchange Online we make the following changes:
Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\ -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer
Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\Inbox -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer
This works fine with Outlook Web App and Outlook desktop client. We can add the shared folder and read the messages.
But when we try to add a shared folder on a Outlook Mobile client we get an error:
Authentication failed
That didn't work. You may not have the right permissions to add this mailbox or this mailbox doesn't exist.
Also added permission directly on the mailbox:
Add-MailboxPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest -User ******@contoso.com -AccessRights ReadPermission
But that didn't make a difference.
It must be possible to delegate folder permissions. It works for default clients, but it refuses to work on mobile Outlook unless I give the user Owner permissions, but that is not 'Least privilege'.
What I'm I missing here or did I stumble on a bug in Outlook Mobile?
(It has to be Outlook mobile client on cell phones)
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Where can i find this article?
If you look back a page the fix was supposed to happen on Friday. Hopefully it will be sorted this week.
I have the same problem, although at the beginning of summer I had managed to include a few shared mailboxes on my Mobile Outlook but not now... Any solution by Microsoft in sight?
Same problem here.
I just downloaded Microsoft Outlook on a brand new phone and can't add shared mailboxes.
Same Problem