Can't open Shared mailbox on mobile device, works on every other client.

Anonymous
2021-06-15T13:20:37+00:00

We want to share mailboxes with 'Least privilege' principle.

So when creating a shared mailbox instead of making users Owner we want to assign only permissions on the necessary folders.

With a PowerShell session to Exchange Online we make the following changes:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\ -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\Inbox -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

This works fine with Outlook Web App and Outlook desktop client. We can add the shared folder and read the messages.

But when we try to add a shared folder on a Outlook Mobile client we get an error:

Authentication failed

That didn't work. You may not have the right permissions to add this mailbox or this mailbox doesn't exist.

Also added permission directly on the mailbox:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest -User ******@contoso.com -AccessRights ReadPermission

But that didn't make a difference.

It must be possible to delegate folder permissions. It works for default clients, but it refuses to work on mobile Outlook unless I give the user Owner permissions, but that is not 'Least privilege'.
What I'm I missing here or did I stumble on a bug in Outlook Mobile?

(It has to be Outlook mobile client on cell phones)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T12:12:43+00:00

    Working now, thank you Microsoft for the fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T12:12:42+00:00

    I have still the sane problem. I am not able to connect 1 specific shared mailbox.

    Other shared mailboxes have no problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T11:55:55+00:00

    We are still experiencing the same on iOS Devices. Some work, some don't, I have no clue why. All are using the latest ios outlook app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T06:39:39+00:00

    We have the same problem. It’s really important to solve it, since still doesn't work today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-09-14T08:10:24+00:00

    Unfortunately not working here, yet.

    Worked to add a shared mailbox a few weeks ago:

    iPadOS

    Now we also wanted to add this mailbox to an iPhone with most recent iOS and Outlook for iOS 4.2135.1 but the authentication error applies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments