Can't open Shared mailbox on mobile device, works on every other client.

Anonymous
2021-06-15T13:20:37+00:00

We want to share mailboxes with 'Least privilege' principle.

So when creating a shared mailbox instead of making users Owner we want to assign only permissions on the necessary folders.

With a PowerShell session to Exchange Online we make the following changes:

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\ -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest:\Inbox -user ******@contoso.com -AccessRights Reviewer

This works fine with Outlook Web App and Outlook desktop client. We can add the shared folder and read the messages.

But when we try to add a shared folder on a Outlook Mobile client we get an error:

Authentication failed

That didn't work. You may not have the right permissions to add this mailbox or this mailbox doesn't exist.

Also added permission directly on the mailbox:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity SharedMailboxTest -User ******@contoso.com -AccessRights ReadPermission

But that didn't make a difference.

It must be possible to delegate folder permissions. It works for default clients, but it refuses to work on mobile Outlook unless I give the user Owner permissions, but that is not 'Least privilege'.
What I'm I missing here or did I stumble on a bug in Outlook Mobile?

(It has to be Outlook mobile client on cell phones)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-20T22:10:25+00:00

    Hello,

    I'm experiencing the same problem with one of three shared mailbox I already added on Outlook Mobile.

    It seems to be a wide issue. Please, look at Exchange Online advisory EX284109 from Microsoft 365 admin center:

    • Estimated start time: August 24, 2021 9:00 AM
    • Last updated: September 20, 2021 6:35 PM
    • Status: Restoring service
    • User impact: Users are unable to add shared mailboxes via the Outlook mobile app.

    Bye,

    Luca

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T14:25:27+00:00

    Thats all I can think, I tested in a North America and UK region so far. Should be working for you.

    P

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-15T13:53:52+00:00

    I still have the problem on certain ios devices. All are using the actual outlook build 4.2135.1 - one device was a clean install today too for testing purposes. Maybe it still needs time for certain devices or servers per region?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments