Accessing an IMAP mail account using Outlook for Android on Galaxy S20

Anonymous
2020-08-25T22:18:25+00:00

I had been using Outlook for Android successfully for an IMAP account. Recently the app started asking for a password but it rejected the password entered. Multiple attempts to reconfigure settings failed. Worked with mail provider to try new password. Confirmed settings. Continued to fail. Uninstalled Outlook, reconfigure, and try to set up account. Outlook errors out after trying to accept an existing mail account.

I can access the mail account from a WIN10 device running Outlook (Microsoft 365) and using new password. I can access mail using Outlook for Android on my Samsung tablet.

Cannot figure out why Outlook stopped working on the phone and will not let me reinstall the mail account.

My mail account is not an Outlook.com account.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-10T08:54:29+00:00

    Well, same happened to me again (yesterday) - as I've reported earlier in this string.  This is an awfully unstable app!  Clearly Microsoft dont care about IMAP customers!  Have they heard of BrowserStack or other cross platform test platforms?

    How do we get this noticed by Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-25T09:23:45+00:00

    Same Outlook Problem here!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-16T17:04:18+00:00

    I have three email accounts in my Outlook app on my Samsung phone. One Gmail, one Hotmail (yes, I still have my original Hotmail account), and one with my service provider Rogers in Canada.

    All three are IMAP and all three worked fine up until about a week and a half ago when my Rogers account just wouldn't sign in for whatever reason. The GMail and Hotmail are still working fine. I tried everything I could find through Google searches with no success.

    What 'did' work for me however was this:

    Rogers uses Yahoo mail as their backbone email hosting service, and they also have this thing called 'App Passwords' which requires specific  email passwords for designated apps so that you're not using your actual Rogers account creds to sign into a third party email app. So, that is 'one' part of the solution. Although, I had originally set this up when I first configured Outlook on my phone, but I tried changing it anyway, still no luck, until I did the following as well

    The 'second' part of the solution was when I deleted the Rogers account in my Outlook then tried recreating it (not uninstalling the app, just deleting the troublesome account), and when I entered my email address, I selected Advanced settings and noticed that Outlook had automatically detected the Yahoo mail server addresses mail.yahoo.com for both IMAP and SMTP, but it also filled in automatically 'android' as a prefix. ie.

    android.imap.mail.yahoo.com

    and

    android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

    I am 99.99% sure that when I originally configured Outlook I had only used imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, but now out of the blue it seems to require the 'android' prefix??

    I'm pretty sure this is a very unique set of requirements for my specific situation, but I figured I'd just let others know that this is what worked for me and maybe might work for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-23T04:33:43+00:00

    Very simple Outlook for Android forces the use of Secure Password Authentication(SPA) when logging in; however, SPA does not and cannot work since it not supported over SSL or TLS IMAP connections.  It is now standard operating procedures to block ALL non-encrypted connections for IMAP.  Microsoft should be fully aware of this since Microsoft was the the co-author of the RFC that says not to allow unencrypted IMAP connections.

    So you help create a global rule for everyone to follow that says do not allow unencrypted IMAP connections, then modify your mobile email application to use Secure Password Authentication that is only supported on unencrypted IMAP connections prohibited by the rule you want everyone to follow.

    Am I missing something here????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-23T06:01:54+00:00

    Once again... It still looks like MS has yet to fix this app more than a year later. These problems still persist (also on my Galaxy S10). In the meantime many of us have got comfortable with other apps that work effortlessly and without glitches. It's incredible that MS seems to be unable or unwilling to get the job done !!! ???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments