Accessing an IMAP mail account using Outlook for Android on Galaxy S20

Anonymous
2020-08-25T22:18:25+00:00

I had been using Outlook for Android successfully for an IMAP account. Recently the app started asking for a password but it rejected the password entered. Multiple attempts to reconfigure settings failed. Worked with mail provider to try new password. Confirmed settings. Continued to fail. Uninstalled Outlook, reconfigure, and try to set up account. Outlook errors out after trying to accept an existing mail account.

I can access the mail account from a WIN10 device running Outlook (Microsoft 365) and using new password. I can access mail using Outlook for Android on my Samsung tablet.

Cannot figure out why Outlook stopped working on the phone and will not let me reinstall the mail account.

My mail account is not an Outlook.com account.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-26T14:04:02+00:00

    Hi,

    I get the same issue : using Outlook/Android with IMAP accounts has been working for me until yesterday.

    I lost access to 2 IMAP accounts, without any reason.

    Trying to delete/re-create accounts fails : "Connection error", although I'm 100% sure of my accounts details (IMAP server address, ports, login, password)

    I think something broke in Outlook recently.

    I am having the same problem, whether I add ports or not or use mobile sync or not... WTH...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-28T16:39:38+00:00

    Did you get feedback from MS in the mean time? 

    having the same issue on an A40...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-30T09:52:57+00:00

    No, I remember that they asked me for the 100th time to check my parameters and credentials.

    As I said, I gave up trying to solve the issue, BlueMail pleases me a lot, so I keep using Outlook only for my professionnal e-mail account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-01T05:40:31+00:00

    By dumb ‘luck’ while trying to add my IMAP account for the 100th time I forgot to add the ‘Description’ (where you usually put the name you want displayed for your account) and *pling* it worked... 

    No idea if that could be the real root cause (then there would be a massive bug in the app) or that I was just lucky...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-08T11:07:17+00:00

    The IMAP accounts on my phone and tablet all stopped working yesterday without having touched any of the account settings for quite some time.  The app did not allow to open the account settings anymore either.

    Followed the advice on this thread and removed the app on both devices, rebooted,reinstalled the app and re-entered the same old account settings.

    All seems to be working fine again, but what a miserable unstable piece of code and support for an app that has been downloaded 100 million times according to the app store.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments