Accessing an IMAP mail account using Outlook for Android on Galaxy S20

Anonymous
2020-08-25T22:18:25+00:00

I had been using Outlook for Android successfully for an IMAP account. Recently the app started asking for a password but it rejected the password entered. Multiple attempts to reconfigure settings failed. Worked with mail provider to try new password. Confirmed settings. Continued to fail. Uninstalled Outlook, reconfigure, and try to set up account. Outlook errors out after trying to accept an existing mail account.

I can access the mail account from a WIN10 device running Outlook (Microsoft 365) and using new password. I can access mail using Outlook for Android on my Samsung tablet.

Cannot figure out why Outlook stopped working on the phone and will not let me reinstall the mail account.

My mail account is not an Outlook.com account.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T07:37:26+00:00

    Hi,

    Microsoft support just suggested a solution which strangely seems to work : simply adding the "000" port number after the server names fixes the bug.

    imap.domain.com:000

    smtp.domain.com:000

    The first connection takes time, then Outlook shows some warnings about connection security, but it works.

    I don't think it's a long-term solution, but it can be helpful while waiting for a true software fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T13:32:30+00:00

    Hi,

    Microsoft support just suggested a solution which strangely seems to work : simply adding the "000" port number after the server names fixes the bug.

    imap.domain.com:000

    smtp.domain.com:000

    The first connection takes time, then Outlook shows some warnings about connection security, but it works.

    I don't think it's a long-term solution, but it can be helpful while waiting for a true software fix.

    Thanks for this! Am I to use the "000", or do I use my specific server port number?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T13:39:45+00:00

    Thanks for this! Am I to use the "000", or do I use my specific server port number?

    That's what is really weird : you have to use 000. Not your specific server port number !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T14:05:25+00:00

    I'm afraid 000 did not work for me.  Until the app passes through all elements of making IMAP/SMTP connection (e.g  SSL/TLS etc.) some of us are gonna be stumped.  Google manage it better/easier but the M365 integration is non-existent.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T14:26:25+00:00

    Sorry for you Tie Knot.

    Anyway, I do not consider this workaround as a reliable solution.

    I totally agree with you about the lack of settings in Outlook, it should be like any other email client, with all the mandatory details of an IMAP/SMTP connection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments