Accessing an IMAP mail account using Outlook for Android on Galaxy S20

Anonymous
2020-08-25T22:18:25+00:00

I had been using Outlook for Android successfully for an IMAP account. Recently the app started asking for a password but it rejected the password entered. Multiple attempts to reconfigure settings failed. Worked with mail provider to try new password. Confirmed settings. Continued to fail. Uninstalled Outlook, reconfigure, and try to set up account. Outlook errors out after trying to accept an existing mail account.

I can access the mail account from a WIN10 device running Outlook (Microsoft 365) and using new password. I can access mail using Outlook for Android on my Samsung tablet.

Cannot figure out why Outlook stopped working on the phone and will not let me reinstall the mail account.

My mail account is not an Outlook.com account.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-14T23:28:14+00:00

    Brilliant!  I think the message is: as far as possible remove all artifacts relating to any previous Outlook for Android installation and start an IMAP installation from scratch.  Cheers, D.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-14T19:45:49+00:00

    Cool, this worked for me (so far)! I appreciate the details. The only thing I failed to do was clear the cache before rebooting, but it still worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-14T17:22:14+00:00

    I wish that had worked. Mine hung after the second reboot then finished reinstalling but password was rejected no matter what settings I used.

    To top it off "support" blatantly said there was no issue with the application and I need to contact my hosting provider last night. Hosting provider finds no issues. I uninstalled and switched mail clients.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-13T07:28:10+00:00

    Having read this (about an overnight update on 4-5 Sep) I repeated the process I reported on 4th Sept (Uninstall Outlook, Reboot, Reinstall Outlook).  Setup PlusNet IMAP mydomain email with ports 993/465.  All has been working for a week now.  Seems like something has been going wrong with the MS/Google/Andoid/Outlook upgrades - so taking it all off, clearing cache, rebooting and putting it back on seems best way to go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-11T14:50:56+00:00

    Appreciate your continued efforts and updates. I have a different hosting provider, but same issues. Clearly that is not the problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments