Accessing an IMAP mail account using Outlook for Android on Galaxy S20

Anonymous
2020-08-25T22:18:25+00:00

I had been using Outlook for Android successfully for an IMAP account. Recently the app started asking for a password but it rejected the password entered. Multiple attempts to reconfigure settings failed. Worked with mail provider to try new password. Confirmed settings. Continued to fail. Uninstalled Outlook, reconfigure, and try to set up account. Outlook errors out after trying to accept an existing mail account.

I can access the mail account from a WIN10 device running Outlook (Microsoft 365) and using new password. I can access mail using Outlook for Android on my Samsung tablet.

Cannot figure out why Outlook stopped working on the phone and will not let me reinstall the mail account.

My mail account is not an Outlook.com account.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-28T10:19:39+00:00

    Hi,

    I get the same issue : using Outlook/Android with IMAP accounts has been working for me until yesterday.

    I lost access to 2 IMAP accounts, without any reason.

    Trying to delete/re-create accounts fails : "Connection error", although I'm 100% sure of my accounts details (IMAP server address, ports, login, password)

    I think something broke in Outlook recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T07:37:26+00:00

    Hi,

    Microsoft support just suggested a solution which strangely seems to work : simply adding the "000" port number after the server names fixes the bug.

    imap.domain.com:000

    smtp.domain.com:000

    The first connection takes time, then Outlook shows some warnings about connection security, but it works.

    I don't think it's a long-term solution, but it can be helpful while waiting for a true software fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-02T08:56:38+00:00

    Same/similar problem on Galaxy S8.  Email is myname At mydomain dot co dot uk *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hosted in UK by Plus.Net.  Worked for 2+ years till end of August using IMAP settings to access IMAP and SMTP server.  No changes by ISP so now have to use Android Gmail to access my emails on this account.  Disappointing Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-28T21:06:14+00:00

    This happened following the last update on the 24th or 25th, both IMAP accounts I use are no longer accepting the password despite working on all other devices.

    In app support is very slow so be sure to contact them ASAP, they will take up to 24 hours to respond to every question that is asked or piece of info they request.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-28T16:17:11+00:00

    Same issue, what changed?   What a hassle!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments