Outlook 2016 "open in new window" doesn't remember size

Anonymous
2018-09-15T16:41:11+00:00

Hi Everyone,

since yesterday my Outlook 2016 via Office 365 (64bit Version 1808 Build 10730.20102) does not remember the size of a new window opened -> e.g. Calendar or Tasks.

Everytime I resize it, close it and reopen it, it will open in a smaller Window on the wrong postion.

I have rebooted, started in Outlook in safe mode, disabled all Add-Ins and also reinstalled Office ... nothing helped.

This is really annoying and I need a fix for this.

Example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T11:05:44+00:00

    Hi Andy,

    Greetings. We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in Microsoft products and services. However, as we all known, it will need some for the development team to look into this issue, sorry for the inconvenience. Looking forward to your understanding.

    Best regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-13T05:41:21+00:00

    Hi all,

    I think I found what's the problem so far. I like to have my taskbar in the "upper" part of the screen (pinned to the top). In this position Outlook does not remember the window position when "replying" or open a "new mail" through a new window.

    This behaviour is not reproduced when the task bar is at the bottom in its normal position, I can open a new mail or replaying in a new window, remembering Outlook the last saved position and no cascading it.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-29T13:22:35+00:00

    Hi,

    thank you for discover what is the reason for this problem. Looks as it is correct explanation, because I also have task bar in the upper position, but I don't want change it only because of MS Outlook problem. I am used to have task bar on the top of screen. Do you have solution for this wrong behavior?

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    Petr

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-02T17:13:03+00:00

    This is not what's causing the issue- I have this issue now and my taskbar is in the default position at the bottom of my screens.  I'm not as concerned with having to move my 'new window calendar/inboxes' that I open, but it is (more than) mildly infuriating to me that suddenly opening up new emails do not open in the same location as the last one I closed.  

    Just this week, something has changed for me that started causing this.  Before, I could open up several emails, which would open in a cascading manner, and depending on which one I closed last, the next email I opened up would open in that same location (as the last one closed).  So I could move a single email I had opened to the top left corner of one screen, close it, then open another and it would open in the top left corner as well (or I could open several, as long as the last one I closed was in the top left corner).  As of the last two days, this behavior has changed such that the location is not being remembered and new emails will open up randomly in one of the cascading positions (say position 4 rather than position 1 which would be the top left corner).  This seems a small issue, but it is excruciatingly annoying as I need to view many areas of my screen at once, so the location is important.

    What makes this even more annoying is that sometimes it works just fine- fine being how it has worked for as long as I can remember: opening up new windows in the same location as the last one I closed; but then suddenly Outlook will decide that it wants to open the next one halfway down and across the screen of the last one I had opened.  I don't understand this strange behavior at all and it's driving me nuts!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-20T15:06:20+00:00

    I have the same problem as everyone else here, and it is getting really annoying.

    The excuse that the previous behaviour of remembering the window size and position was not a feature is BS. Like someone said, it has been like that for 20+ years. The whole operating system is called "Windows", and it's original idea was to make it easy to work in separate windows as opposed to one big DOS screen. Opening a new window that does not remember the previous size (or alternatively at least lets you decide what size and position it should be), and instead chooses a seemingly random size and position cannot possibly be a feature. And it certainly wasn't like that before 2018.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments