Outlook App for Android does not sync contacts

Anonymous
2019-05-07T17:31:24+00:00

Android contacts app does not sync with my Outlook email account.  I tried 4 different ways.  Each time I ensured Contacts sync is enabled in both Outlook account settings (off by default) and Android Settings\Accounts (on by default).  My account syncs with Android email and Android calendar - only Android contacts is empty.

1.), in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  It successfully syncs with Android mail and Android calendar.  Not contacts - remains empty. 

Removed this account and tried again

2.) Installed Outlook for Android, added my outlook.com address, enabled contacts sync.  Still nothing.

3.) Left account in Outlook and attempted to add it in Android Settings\Accounts -  message "The email address is already connected with Outlook.  Do you want to connect it again with another service?"  I proceeded and chose "Outlook.com" as the service.

4.) Uninstalled everything.  in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  Installed Outlook for Android, added account to Outlook.  Now it shows up in Android Settings\Accounts twice - once as Exchange and once as Outlook.com.  

Within Android Settings\Accounts it indicates "Contacts - Last synced 5/7/19 10:28am".  If I disable and reenable sync, the spinning sync circle appears, as if it was syncing, and then displays a new "Last synced" message.  Yet, no contacts ever show up.

Never had an issue on iOS.  Works perfectly.  My girlfriend's Samsung phone, contact sync works perfectly.  My LG phone, no contact sync.

Clarification - this is not an Outlook for Android issue.  This is a Microsoft ActiveSync integration issue with Android.  It is NOT required to install Outlook on Android.  Contacts, calendar, and mail sync are UNRELATED to Outlook for Android.  If you enter Android Settings\Accounts, you can connect to your microsoft email account via Exchange ActiveSync without ever having installed Outlook.  This is an Exchange ActiveSync bug!

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-10T12:07:17+00:00

    Same issue here on my Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Worked fine for monthes, now I just can't do anything with Outlook cause my contacts are not synced. I am even unable to enable the contact sync, and Microsoft support is failing to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-12T13:24:17+00:00

    Something has gone wrong recently for sure, I am using Samsung S9 with the latest updates, as well as latest Outlook app. 

    It syncs one way, Web Outlook to phone, not the other way round for me. Never had this issue before, so I don't think you're alone with similar syncing issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-24T21:16:55+00:00

    Same issue here for the last month or so, contacts for my work account sync fine but not for my personal account.

    I have found a solution that works for me

    1. Goto your contact (people) on outlook.com website and export all contacts and save the CSV file
    2. Delete all contacts
    3. Import contacts from the CSV file created in step 1

    I then switched Sync back on again in the Android Outlook app and all the contacts have now appeared in the 'Contacts' app too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-20T10:36:12+00:00

    In fact, I've just noticed that the situation has now got worse! Some of my more commonly used contacts have lost their phone numbers altogether from my Outlook account, not just from the phone. Not sure when that happened, some time in the last few days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-20T10:25:39+00:00

    I think this is a recent issue. I've had a similar problem myself, but it only started happening in the last month or so.

    I have a Moto G5, and my wife a Huawei Y7. We both had Outlook for Android installed, and both had our contacts syncing fine for about a year. A month or so ago, the contacts just stopped syncing for both of us. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook, and reset my account a few times, and sometimes that fixes the issue temporarily. My wife has got around it by adding her Outlook account to the Huawei mail app and removing Outlook, which does seem to have fixed the problem for her. I'm still using Outlook though and the problem remains.

    Duncan

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments