Outlook App for Android does not sync contacts

Anonymous
2019-05-07T17:31:24+00:00

Android contacts app does not sync with my Outlook email account.  I tried 4 different ways.  Each time I ensured Contacts sync is enabled in both Outlook account settings (off by default) and Android Settings\Accounts (on by default).  My account syncs with Android email and Android calendar - only Android contacts is empty.

1.), in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  It successfully syncs with Android mail and Android calendar.  Not contacts - remains empty. 

Removed this account and tried again

2.) Installed Outlook for Android, added my outlook.com address, enabled contacts sync.  Still nothing.

3.) Left account in Outlook and attempted to add it in Android Settings\Accounts -  message "The email address is already connected with Outlook.  Do you want to connect it again with another service?"  I proceeded and chose "Outlook.com" as the service.

4.) Uninstalled everything.  in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  Installed Outlook for Android, added account to Outlook.  Now it shows up in Android Settings\Accounts twice - once as Exchange and once as Outlook.com.  

Within Android Settings\Accounts it indicates "Contacts - Last synced 5/7/19 10:28am".  If I disable and reenable sync, the spinning sync circle appears, as if it was syncing, and then displays a new "Last synced" message.  Yet, no contacts ever show up.

Never had an issue on iOS.  Works perfectly.  My girlfriend's Samsung phone, contact sync works perfectly.  My LG phone, no contact sync.

Clarification - this is not an Outlook for Android issue.  This is a Microsoft ActiveSync integration issue with Android.  It is NOT required to install Outlook on Android.  Contacts, calendar, and mail sync are UNRELATED to Outlook for Android.  If you enter Android Settings\Accounts, you can connect to your microsoft email account via Exchange ActiveSync without ever having installed Outlook.  This is an Exchange ActiveSync bug!

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-28T07:04:37+00:00

    And contact duplicates are showing up again. Ok, I'm done, I'm sticking to Nine Folders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-28T06:36:21+00:00

    Ok, I just purged my contact list and restored from a backup. Syncing is going along smoothly and there appears to be no contact duplicates. I will check back in a couple of hours to see if it is complete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-27T23:37:19+00:00

    I just noticed that if I search in the ouook app, it can find my contacts

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-27T20:11:08+00:00

    I just noticed that the Outlook app maybe syncing contacts separately from the Android Contacts app; that maybe why I'm getting duplicates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-09-27T19:50:41+00:00

    Ok, so with Optimization turned off, it synced about 5,612 contacts. The problem is that I only have 3,941 contacts; a lot of them are being duplicated and after a cursory glance I have determined that it is still syncing.

    I did a test contact from my phone and it synced quickly to my desktop. However, this does not solve my apprehension about it syncing from the server.

    Some suggested an app password. Is it possible to do EAS instead of MAPI?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments