Outlook App for Android does not sync contacts

Anonymous
2019-05-07T17:31:24+00:00

Android contacts app does not sync with my Outlook email account.  I tried 4 different ways.  Each time I ensured Contacts sync is enabled in both Outlook account settings (off by default) and Android Settings\Accounts (on by default).  My account syncs with Android email and Android calendar - only Android contacts is empty.

1.), in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  It successfully syncs with Android mail and Android calendar.  Not contacts - remains empty. 

Removed this account and tried again

2.) Installed Outlook for Android, added my outlook.com address, enabled contacts sync.  Still nothing.

3.) Left account in Outlook and attempted to add it in Android Settings\Accounts -  message "The email address is already connected with Outlook.  Do you want to connect it again with another service?"  I proceeded and chose "Outlook.com" as the service.

4.) Uninstalled everything.  in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  Installed Outlook for Android, added account to Outlook.  Now it shows up in Android Settings\Accounts twice - once as Exchange and once as Outlook.com.  

Within Android Settings\Accounts it indicates "Contacts - Last synced 5/7/19 10:28am".  If I disable and reenable sync, the spinning sync circle appears, as if it was syncing, and then displays a new "Last synced" message.  Yet, no contacts ever show up.

Never had an issue on iOS.  Works perfectly.  My girlfriend's Samsung phone, contact sync works perfectly.  My LG phone, no contact sync.

Clarification - this is not an Outlook for Android issue.  This is a Microsoft ActiveSync integration issue with Android.  It is NOT required to install Outlook on Android.  Contacts, calendar, and mail sync are UNRELATED to Outlook for Android.  If you enter Android Settings\Accounts, you can connect to your microsoft email account via Exchange ActiveSync without ever having installed Outlook.  This is an Exchange ActiveSync bug!

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T21:55:01+00:00

    My app has been syncing fine for about 4 months now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T19:38:32+00:00

    I have also experienced the issue. Contacts slider spontaneously reverts to do not sync, the outlook account vanishes from the people app, no contacts. Pixel 3.

    Microsoft support not great, and problem unresolved.

    I didn't find any of the on line solutions to be effective.

    As others have stated, Nine Folders is a definite Outlook alternative in this situation.

    Reason for posting is that, on a whim, I reinstalled Outlook [version 4.1.13] and EVERYTHING WORKS!!! [So far, anyway]

    I have no idea if Microsoft has really resolved the issue, or if one of the frequent Google updates to the Pixel did something.

    Might be worth others retrying Outlook, as when it works it is a decent app, which I personally prefer to Nine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-25T17:46:46+00:00

    I am just a user, and I finally figured a work around that works for me.

    My situation: I have over 600+ contacts in outlook (when you sign in through online), but the android contacts get dropped every time Outlook pushes an update, and leaves about 100+ contacts on the phone and some of these contacts have incomplete information.

    What worked for me:

    First go to outlook online, open a contact and do a dummy edit of a contact - this is to mark the contact as dirty and marking it to sync.

    1. Open the contacts app and check the number of contacts. Then close contacts app on android (9.x)
    2. Open the outlook application on your phone.
    3. Select the search/magnify icon at the bottom. This should open the contacts list as a horizontal list. swipe/scroll all to the right till you see "see all contacts". This will list possibly all your contacts - which is good, but don't worry if you do not see them.
    4. If you see a contact in this list but not in your address book, select this contact. Edit it and it should prompt you for a sync. Sync it. All contacts will sync is a bit.
    5. If you get a sync error, then choose another name/contact that is on your android phone, edit it. The phone will come up with a message it is syncing. All contacts will sync in a bit.
    6. Re-open the contact list and check number of contacts - this should now reflect the correct count.

    Note: This has worked for me, but I had to follow these steps in this sequence. Not guaranteeing it will work for all, but the whole trick is to mark the two environments as out of sync. Forcing the sync has no effect if the system does not think they are out of sync. The problem is traceable to every android outlook update, and generally messes it up - dropping all contacts that are currently used by your phone - texts, phone logs, WhatsApp shared contacts, etc. You get the picture.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T16:13:59+00:00

    Had the same problem: Contacts from Outlook.com (Hotmail account) did not sync from the Outlook for Android app to the native Contacts app. Tried all suggested solutions to no avail. 

    Finally switched OFF the "Sync contacts" option for the account in the Outlook app, hoping to be able to manually copy each contact to the Contacts app. I then searched (in the Outlook app on my phone) for a single contact. This displayed without errors. Then chose "Edit" and the app gave me a message saying I needed to enable synchonisation of contacts first. I pressed "enable" (can't replicate the exact message as it was not in English) and ... when opening the native Contacts app, it started syncing. 

    Weird.... But hope it helps someone...

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-08T05:42:42+00:00

    I have same issue however my issue is rather random and inconsistent,

    Infact i am having issues syncing outlook.com contacts to my samsung android phone through outlook app since inception of outlook app for android. 

    during this time i have upgraded to various versions of hardware, android, outlook app and phone contacts apps - nothing has fixed this for ever. 

    during this time I have tried reinstall app, delete cache , restart of phone , readd account, stop sync and reenable sync , contacted support and send numerous logs etc. some time it got fixed temporarily and started having issues again. 

    I have noticed that outlook app syncs contacts in very random and infrequent interval - microsoft hasnt published how and when this happens. hence sometime if you wait for a day or 2 you will find your contact is synced. 

    for workaround i am syncing same outlook account 2nd time with activesync and only enabled contacts sync through that so i dont get email and calendar downloaded twice. 

    I use outlook only for email and calendar purpose. 

    i am very frustrated and have considered many times to move completely over to gmail / google eco system as it native to android.

    perhaps i ll do that soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments