Outlook for Android Double Notifications

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:10:53+00:00

This has been a problem for quite some time that I've had on two different Android phones both with the Outlook app and Android 8 (Oreo). The problem is I get double notifications (the sound part of a notification) for EVERY email that arrives on my phone. On top of that, notifications are often delayed by minutes or hours and then all arrive in a stream of double notifications. People ask me what's wrong with my phone when it starts dinging for 20 seconds (it doesn't help that I have Mario themed notifications so it sounds like I'm on a real coin streak :)).

All other apps on my phone work properly - it's only the Outlook for Android app that causes this. This is a widespread issue with little or no real solutions to it out there that I can find. Everything seems to point to it being an Outlook issue, not an Android issue. 

I've discovered that if I close the Outlook app on my phone (remove it from recent apps), then the double notifications stop. But as soon as I open the app again then they start again until I remove it from recent apps. 

My phones that have had this problem are the Nexus 5X and now I have a OnePlus 5T. Both vastly different devices but the common thread is Android 8 and Outlook. 

Please confirm that this widespread issue is in the queue for being fixed and provide a timeline for when I can expect my double notifications to stop. Fixing the delayed notifications would be great as well although I don't know for sure that's an Outlook problem.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-25T16:03:38+00:00

seems fixed on the newest update last April 24 Version 2.2.143. please confirm. thanks

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-29T22:49:40+00:00

    Just saw this post, I also have the same issue, phone is OnePlus 5T, it's clearly the App and not the phone.

    And while I'm at it, how about an update to allow for Editing Contacts and Deleting Contacts in the App and having the changes Sync to the Desktop Exchange Outlook. BTW, I actually light the interface on the Calendar portion of the App. Since I was forced to abandon Windows 10 Phone and go to Android at least I can have my Outlook and other  Windows Apps, they just need a little tuning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T10:24:27+00:00

    I have the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S9 with Oreo 8.0. I have informed support of this issue some time ago, but 2 updates later and the problem persists. I've given up on Outlook until it's fixed. :(

    (On some forum I read this is due to new 'notification channels' on Oreo and developers need to create notification channel and set NotificationManager.IMPORTANCE_LOW to it) This seems simple enough for Microsoft to correct, I would think...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T14:14:46+00:00

    Simple fix, just turn your Calendar notifications to NONE and no problem. I'm going to play around with different notification time settings. Remember, I'm on Oxygen which is a modified version of Oreo so there may be differences. I'm also using the MS Launcher which is much better than the OnePlus that came with the phone. You might download that onto your Samsung because it has its own Settings Menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T15:33:01+00:00

    So, I turned all the Outlook calendar notifications to NONE, restarted the phone, but the double email notifications are still there unfortunately (even when the app is not open in recents).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments