Outlook for Android Double Notifications

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:10:53+00:00

This has been a problem for quite some time that I've had on two different Android phones both with the Outlook app and Android 8 (Oreo). The problem is I get double notifications (the sound part of a notification) for EVERY email that arrives on my phone. On top of that, notifications are often delayed by minutes or hours and then all arrive in a stream of double notifications. People ask me what's wrong with my phone when it starts dinging for 20 seconds (it doesn't help that I have Mario themed notifications so it sounds like I'm on a real coin streak :)).

All other apps on my phone work properly - it's only the Outlook for Android app that causes this. This is a widespread issue with little or no real solutions to it out there that I can find. Everything seems to point to it being an Outlook issue, not an Android issue. 

I've discovered that if I close the Outlook app on my phone (remove it from recent apps), then the double notifications stop. But as soon as I open the app again then they start again until I remove it from recent apps. 

My phones that have had this problem are the Nexus 5X and now I have a OnePlus 5T. Both vastly different devices but the common thread is Android 8 and Outlook. 

Please confirm that this widespread issue is in the queue for being fixed and provide a timeline for when I can expect my double notifications to stop. Fixing the delayed notifications would be great as well although I don't know for sure that's an Outlook problem.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-25T16:03:38+00:00

seems fixed on the newest update last April 24 Version 2.2.143. please confirm. thanks

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-25T16:00:53+00:00

    Still not fixed for me.  This is Outlook 2.2.226 (installed via the Google Play store), on a Samsung Galaxy S7, running Android 8.0.0 (Oreo).

    My problem is similar, but different from the original report.

    When I receive the first new e-mail after having previously read mail, I hear one notification chime.  If I receive another message before I've read that message (even if I've read it on a different computer), it chimes twice.  If I receive another, three times, and so on.

    Each time a message arrives, I hear one chime for every message that arrived since I last opened the Outlook app to read mail.  Sometimes this can end up generating 20 or 30 chimes!

    This is so aggravating that the app is almost completely useless unless I compulsively open the Outlook app every time mail arrives, even if I have no intention of actually reading or replying using the app (e.g. if I'm also using my laptop PC at the time).

    This problem has been an issue for many months now, despite many software updates.  Does anybody at Microsoft actually run Outlook on an Android phone?  I can't believe they aren't just as bothered by this as I am.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-19T10:16:22+00:00

    Aquamail Pro truly is a gem.   Was on it before i tried Outlook, back on it after getting tired of sounding like a pinball machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-19T07:33:54+00:00

    I solved this by switching off notifications for Outlook and switching them on for the Samsung 8+ email app. The notification then sounds from the Samsung app, but I open the email in Outlook. Bit of a work around but works for me.

    I solved this yesterday by uninstalling Outlook and switching to Aquamail Pro. Finally.

    It’s a shame that MS is not willing to fix this annoyance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-19T07:19:38+00:00

    I solved this by switching off notifications for Outlook and switching them on for the Samsung 8+ email app. The notification then sounds from the Samsung app, but I open the email in Outlook. Bit of a work around but works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments