Outlook for Android Double Notifications

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:10:53+00:00

This has been a problem for quite some time that I've had on two different Android phones both with the Outlook app and Android 8 (Oreo). The problem is I get double notifications (the sound part of a notification) for EVERY email that arrives on my phone. On top of that, notifications are often delayed by minutes or hours and then all arrive in a stream of double notifications. People ask me what's wrong with my phone when it starts dinging for 20 seconds (it doesn't help that I have Mario themed notifications so it sounds like I'm on a real coin streak :)).

All other apps on my phone work properly - it's only the Outlook for Android app that causes this. This is a widespread issue with little or no real solutions to it out there that I can find. Everything seems to point to it being an Outlook issue, not an Android issue. 

I've discovered that if I close the Outlook app on my phone (remove it from recent apps), then the double notifications stop. But as soon as I open the app again then they start again until I remove it from recent apps. 

My phones that have had this problem are the Nexus 5X and now I have a OnePlus 5T. Both vastly different devices but the common thread is Android 8 and Outlook. 

Please confirm that this widespread issue is in the queue for being fixed and provide a timeline for when I can expect my double notifications to stop. Fixing the delayed notifications would be great as well although I don't know for sure that's an Outlook problem.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-25T16:03:38+00:00

seems fixed on the newest update last April 24 Version 2.2.143. please confirm. thanks

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T17:50:51+00:00

    Same here. Moved from S5 to S8+ and double notifications. Tried all the solutions suggested but none work. Reduced the notification to single beep which still sounds twice!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T17:29:40+00:00

    I have had the same issue as well as 3 other members of my family. It's been happening since we all got the Galaxy S8/S8+ last year on Android 7.0. (It was never an issue with older phones before LG G4 android 7.0, Asus zenfone, Motorola).

    We've recently updated all 4 phones to Android 8.0 and the problem is worse - the sounds repeat for every email but at slower pace! I contacted Outlook support via the app and they suggested I reset the accounts and reinstall the apps. This is something I tried a number of times last year and suprise, surprise...it does not work this time either. Looks like from the postings here that we just have to wait for the updates. Like everyone else, the notifications work perfectly with Gmail and Inbox apps - so it definitely is the outlook app issue. Come on Microsoft, surely this is not beyond your capabilities...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T15:33:01+00:00

    So, I turned all the Outlook calendar notifications to NONE, restarted the phone, but the double email notifications are still there unfortunately (even when the app is not open in recents).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T14:14:46+00:00

    Simple fix, just turn your Calendar notifications to NONE and no problem. I'm going to play around with different notification time settings. Remember, I'm on Oxygen which is a modified version of Oreo so there may be differences. I'm also using the MS Launcher which is much better than the OnePlus that came with the phone. You might download that onto your Samsung because it has its own Settings Menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments