Outlook for Android Double Notifications

Anonymous
2018-03-14T22:10:53+00:00

This has been a problem for quite some time that I've had on two different Android phones both with the Outlook app and Android 8 (Oreo). The problem is I get double notifications (the sound part of a notification) for EVERY email that arrives on my phone. On top of that, notifications are often delayed by minutes or hours and then all arrive in a stream of double notifications. People ask me what's wrong with my phone when it starts dinging for 20 seconds (it doesn't help that I have Mario themed notifications so it sounds like I'm on a real coin streak :)).

All other apps on my phone work properly - it's only the Outlook for Android app that causes this. This is a widespread issue with little or no real solutions to it out there that I can find. Everything seems to point to it being an Outlook issue, not an Android issue. 

I've discovered that if I close the Outlook app on my phone (remove it from recent apps), then the double notifications stop. But as soon as I open the app again then they start again until I remove it from recent apps. 

My phones that have had this problem are the Nexus 5X and now I have a OnePlus 5T. Both vastly different devices but the common thread is Android 8 and Outlook. 

Please confirm that this widespread issue is in the queue for being fixed and provide a timeline for when I can expect my double notifications to stop. Fixing the delayed notifications would be great as well although I don't know for sure that's an Outlook problem.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-25T16:03:38+00:00

seems fixed on the newest update last April 24 Version 2.2.143. please confirm. thanks

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T17:35:59+00:00

    Hi,

    I have already tried all of that including clearing all app data and cache and re-installing Outlook. Nothing fixes the problem.

    I also submitted this problem through the in-app support chat thing and after it being escalated this was the official response (put here for others to see):

    This is ***** from the escalations team. I apologize for the wait! After thoroughly reviewing your ticket, we have determined that you are experiencing an issue that we are tracking, and it may take several app updates before a solution to your problem is released. We have all we need for now, and your issue has been added to our tracker. Unfortunately, the solution to your problem will come in the form of an update.

    We truly have no ETA as to when an update will be available. We advise you to continuously check for app updates and keep the app up to date in anticipation of a solution in the future.

    Since your problem will require an app update to resolve, we must close this ticket, though we do apologize for the inconvenience. Despite the inconvenience, we hope you have a wonderful week!

    So this tells me that a) it is a known problem they are working to fix and b) there is no fix at this time. This is really frustrating - how can pretty much every other Android app figure out how to do notifications properly but Microsoft can't? Come on guys, get your act together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-19T06:26:28+00:00

    I've given up on Outlook. I left feedback everywhere but this issue is just being ignored. I've moved on to another Android app for email, which works just fine. Sorry Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-29T22:49:40+00:00

    Just saw this post, I also have the same issue, phone is OnePlus 5T, it's clearly the App and not the phone.

    And while I'm at it, how about an update to allow for Editing Contacts and Deleting Contacts in the App and having the changes Sync to the Desktop Exchange Outlook. BTW, I actually light the interface on the Calendar portion of the App. Since I was forced to abandon Windows 10 Phone and go to Android at least I can have my Outlook and other  Windows Apps, they just need a little tuning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T01:05:39+00:00

    I have a Galaxy Note 8 and can confirm that if I close Outlook (remove it from recent apps) the notification sound works perfectly.  If Outlook is open there is a ridiculous amount of stuttering.

    I have removed and reinstalled Outlook on the phone, but this makes no difference at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments