Outlook 16.23.1 not searching correctly on Mojave 10.14.4

Anonymous
2019-04-04T21:28:30+00:00

I've had intermittent problems where the search function in Outlook on my Mac would stop working. In the past, I had a reliable fix that I found somewhere online; I ran the following in Terminal:

mdimport -g ‘/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter’ -d1 ‘/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile’

... where USERNAME was the home directory name on my Mac. This took a while to run, but worked like a charm every time.

But I recently upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.4 (Mojave), and apparently this command is no longer supported in Terminal. Now when I try to run it, I get the error:

'-g' no longer supported. Importers may only be tested by installing them.

To be honest, I don't really know what the "-g" parameter means. Any ideas on how to resolve? I'm a bit out of my depth here and don't want to do something that makes things worse.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-11T12:31:25+00:00

    I interacted with MS's dedicated Outlook for Mac support team via the Contact Support feature on the Help menu in Outlook. I was told to do the following, 

    Quit Outlook completely and then open Terminal on the Mac and then copy and paste the command

    sudo mdutil -E / 

    It would prompt for your Mac Password please enter it and wait for it to complete and then give it some time and then re-launch Outlook and check if that helps. If you still face issues. 

    Quit Outlook completely by click on Outlook Menu > Quit Outlook and then try the steps 

    1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.

    2. Click the Privacy tab.

    3. In Finder:

    a. On the Go menu click Go to Folder...

    b. Copy and paste the following location into the "Go to the folder:" dialog box and click Go:

    ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/

    4. Drag the ‘Main Profile’ folder to the Privacy tab. Once added, remove the folder, and Spotlight will re-index the folder. Note: You must perform this step for any additional profile folders you may have.

    See the following article from Apple to learn more: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

    This appeared to work - messages were appearing in search results. But unfortunately, the fix was short-lived. Newer mail is still not appearing in search results. (I can be looking at a message just received in my inbox, search for it, and get no results). So there's still a problem. But at least I temporarily have some kind of search capability. 

    I have posted this back to the Outlook Support team and will update this thread if they respond with helpful suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-12T07:35:38+00:00

    Hi yobelow,

    Thanks for posting back and sharing the useful information in our community. If you have any further updates on this problem, welcome to post back again.

    Thanks,

    Huni

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T16:20:02+00:00

    This is still happening to users in our org and it is completely unacceptable.  Is there any word on if this is specifically being addressed?  Also has anyone else with the issue nail down the exact scenario in which this issue pops up ie Outlook build + MacOS version being factors?

    I'm curious to see if this is happening to anyone running the 16.23 build of Outlook on older version of macOS 10.12 or 10.13

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T16:40:43+00:00

    This same problem happened to me periodically with a range of different Outlook builds and MacOS versions. I could never definitively nail down why it happened, but my suspicion was that it happened when Outlook wasn't closed gracefully.

    The solution was always to run the following in Terminal:

    mdimport -g ‘/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter’ -d1 ‘/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile’

    ... where USERNAME was the home directory name on my Mac. This took a while to run, but always resolved the issue. 

    But mdimport -g is not supported under MacOS 10.14.4 (Mojave), so I no longer have a fix. I'd recommend to everyone not to upgrade to Mojave until a fix is available. When using earlier MacOS versions, the problem is fixable using the above-mentioned process. I cannot say definitively which versions of Outlook it worked with, but it worked with every version I ever tried it with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T16:57:58+00:00

    Thanks yobelow.  It's a tricky thing to try to fix for our users because it takes a pretty specific search query to actually reveal that there is an issue but we are trying to nail down what specific circumstances cause this issue to occur.

    Also, why hasn't Microsoft Support addressed the issue with the blank Outlook Search Repair tool window in Mojave?  Seems like something they would be aware of and fixing.  Mojave has been out since September 2018

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments