Outlook 16.23.1 not searching correctly on Mojave 10.14.4

Anonymous
2019-04-04T21:28:30+00:00

I've had intermittent problems where the search function in Outlook on my Mac would stop working. In the past, I had a reliable fix that I found somewhere online; I ran the following in Terminal:

mdimport -g ‘/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter’ -d1 ‘/Users/USERNAME/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile’

... where USERNAME was the home directory name on my Mac. This took a while to run, but worked like a charm every time.

But I recently upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.4 (Mojave), and apparently this command is no longer supported in Terminal. Now when I try to run it, I get the error:

'-g' no longer supported. Importers may only be tested by installing them.

To be honest, I don't really know what the "-g" parameter means. Any ideas on how to resolve? I'm a bit out of my depth here and don't want to do something that makes things worse.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-18T02:12:16+00:00

    This is how I fixed this annoying issue for my env:

    • Outlook 16.34
    • Catalina 10.15.3

    mdimport -i ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\Profiles/Main\ Profile/Data/Tasks/

    find ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\Profiles/Main\ Profile/Data/Messages/ -type f -mtime -2 -exec mdimport -i "{}" ;

    I wish you the best.

    Slight typo in those commands; both paths are missing a space between "15" and "Profiles".  Here's the corrected commands:

    mdimport -i ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile/Data/Tasks/

    find ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook\ 15\ Profiles/Main\ Profile/Data/Messages/ -type f -mtime -2 -exec mdimport -i "{}" ;

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments