IMAP is not working correctly on Outlook Office365. Error: "User is authenticated but not connected"

Anonymous
2019-04-01T17:16:04+00:00

Hello

Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.

Problem:

I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.

From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.

I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.

I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.

However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance.

r

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-09-18T18:29:05+00:00

    Hi Guido,

    I think Karl's crystal ball is quite good. Would agree with that...

    Do you have the same error message as I have?

    Just to rule out. In Thunderbird there is password cashing, and I think it is independent from the account. So removing the account might leave the old password in place. You might try to clean the password via Preferences / Security / Passwords / Saved Passwords... 

    There was somewhere an article that somebody changed the password and Thunderbird sent the old password and it did not work...Here it is:

    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/164823/user-is-authenticated-but-not-connected-after-changing-my-exchange-password

    "The message “User is authenticated but not connected” is due to a bug in the Exchange server's IMAP implementation. If the client presents a valid user name but an invalid password, the server accepts the login, but subsequent commands fail with the aforementioned error message."

    The IMAP interface has several problems...

    The above password story is one reason why I did my own IMAP script, to be able to have full control over the communication.

    So in my case this is ruled out as a root cause, but maybe you are lucky and need only to flush the cash.

    Tell mi if it works...

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-09-18T18:39:34+00:00

    Hi,

    Sorry for spamming, it just came into my mind: there is also a page by Microsoft where you can check the IMAP interface:

    https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

    You can select IMAP connection, set the server address, login name and password.

    It tries to create a simple IMAP communication. Prints also the details of that communication.

    You get a detailed test log of your run.

    If you get the same error message here, that means that the problem is on the backend side.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-09-18T19:15:06+00:00

    Microsoft should hire you, Robert. You know their service better than they.

    My plan is the following:

    1. Switch off gmail on my mobile for 24 h.

    1a. Check if Thunderbird works fine

    1b. Check if your last link works fine, during working and non working time of thunderbird.

    1. Switch on gmail

    GOTO 1a

    GOTO 1b

    Give me two days, tomorrow is really very busy.

    best regards,

    karl.ranseier

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-19T06:54:40+00:00

    Goodmorning

    For now I deleted this account in my Thunderbird and in Android. I told school (my employer) I only check my mail once a day (through firefox). I'm sick of this (yet another) MS story with no solution. I wonder if there are any capable technicians in Redmond who know what they are doing.

    I will try in a few days, I don't have time to bother.

    In a few weeks I will teach the basic installation/configuration of Exchange. Perhaps I use that to look on the other side of this IMAP problem.

    Regards

    Guido

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-09-19T06:56:18+00:00

    Goodmorning

    What I will do in the next couple of days, is to test another Thunderbird installation where I didn't use this account yet.

    Regards

    Guido

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments