IMAP is not working correctly on Outlook Office365. Error: "User is authenticated but not connected"

Anonymous
2019-04-01T17:16:04+00:00

Hello

Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.

Problem:

I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.

From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.

I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.

I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.

However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance.

r

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-14T15:00:37+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    Thanks for your prompt update. I have also searched online and found some similar reports that the problem happens to Office 365 accounts after they changed the password. The reason is that the password stored by Thunderbird didn’t update. Under this circumstance, the workaround is to remove the credentials in Thunderbird and re-enter the user name and password.

    If you still have any questions about it or it doesn’t work, it is recommended to also contact Thunderbird support for further investigating on it.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-14T15:33:31+00:00

    Hello Rick,

    I have not changed my password. And I have already cleared the stored passwords. But on your suggestion I did it again. The problem is still present.

    As I wrote the test accounts are working correctly. So the client is also working correctly.

    The Office365 server is the one that answers with the given error.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T15:23:20+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    Thanks for your update. Because you are not using Outlook client, it may be difficult to further narrow down the issue. May I know if you have some special requirements so that you configured it via IMAP? Since it is an Office 365 account, it is highly recommended to configure it via Exchange or Exchange ActiveSync to prevent problems. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T16:24:09+00:00

    Hello Rick,

    I am using a provided service of Office365 which is the IMAP interface. I am using this interface because it suits my needs the best, across platforms and operating systems.

    As we already seen the test accounts are working fine. So the client can handle the IMAP protocol correctly.

    My account was working fine at the beginning, and never encountered this problem.

    However since the Offce365 blackout it behaves this way. (this is correlation and might not causality)

    Because the client side settings did not changed, and are the same as they are on the test accounts, the only place for difference is the cloud.

    Are there any differences between handling accounts?

    Some kind of white lists, black lists, different rule sets for different account?

    Anything that can be different?

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-16T15:19:14+00:00

    Hello Galamobs,

    Based on my experience, the white/black lists or rules will not affect it. Under this circumstance, it is recommended to remove the affected account and re-add it to Thunderbird so that the affected account will re-connect to the IMAP server. Note: Remember to backup the data to prevent data loss.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments