IMAP is not working correctly on Outlook Office365. Error: "User is authenticated but not connected"

Anonymous
2019-04-01T17:16:04+00:00

Hello

Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.

Problem:

I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.

From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.

I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.

I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.

However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance.

r

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-01T18:54:50+00:00

    Hello Galambos Róbert,

    May I confirm if you add your Office 365 account as IMAP type into Gmail and Thunderbird for Android client? If so, I would suggest you try remove your account from those clients and then re-add it back to check the results.

    Note: Please back up your data before you remove it.

    Meanwhile, to rule out mobile client problems, if it is convenience, please add your account into desktop client or Outlook client see if it can help.

    If the problem persists, would you mind provide us a screenshot of the error message to help us understand your symptom more clearly?

    Best Regards,

    Sylvie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-04T06:17:28+00:00

    Hello Sylvie,

    I use Thunderbird as a desktop client. The problem is present there as well.

    The error message is: "User is authenticated but not connected".

    I have currently no screenshot, but will take one the next time, but the screenshot will show the same error text.

    r

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-07T15:18:58+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    Sorry for the late reply because I was off duty before. May I know what the type of the affected account(Office 365 for Business account or other account)? I understand the problem happens both in Gmail for Android and Thunderbird desktop client. Given the situation, you can try to add the account to Outlook desktop client to see if there is any difference.

    From the description, the problem may be related to the mail provider. It is suggested to contact your mail server for further help.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-07T15:45:21+00:00

    Hello Rick,

    The affected account is an Office 365 for Business account.

    Unfortunately I have a Linux based system which is required for my work, so I can not try Outlook desktop.

    What do you mean by mail provider? I am using the official Office 365 cloud as mail provider:

    As you can see. That is my main problem, that I can not contact the server and its administrator to solve my problem.

    Who do I contact?

    Regards,

    r

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments