IMAP is not working correctly on Outlook Office365. Error: "User is authenticated but not connected"

Anonymous
2019-04-01T17:16:04+00:00

Hello

Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.

Problem:

I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.

From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.

I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.

I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.

However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance.

r

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T15:23:20+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    Thanks for your update. Because you are not using Outlook client, it may be difficult to further narrow down the issue. May I know if you have some special requirements so that you configured it via IMAP? Since it is an Office 365 account, it is highly recommended to configure it via Exchange or Exchange ActiveSync to prevent problems. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-14T15:33:31+00:00

    Hello Rick,

    I have not changed my password. And I have already cleared the stored passwords. But on your suggestion I did it again. The problem is still present.

    As I wrote the test accounts are working correctly. So the client is also working correctly.

    The Office365 server is the one that answers with the given error.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-14T15:00:37+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    Thanks for your prompt update. I have also searched online and found some similar reports that the problem happens to Office 365 accounts after they changed the password. The reason is that the password stored by Thunderbird didn’t update. Under this circumstance, the workaround is to remove the credentials in Thunderbird and re-enter the user name and password.

    If you still have any questions about it or it doesn’t work, it is recommended to also contact Thunderbird support for further investigating on it.

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-12T09:23:36+00:00

    Hello Rick,

    I have tested 3 accounts simultaneously.

    A) My original account where the problem occurs.

    B) Your test account.

    C) A test account created in our domain (like ******@mycompany.hu)

    All of these accounts are configured the same way in the client.

    My A) account produced the problem as earlier. (sometimes working sometimes not)

    I have found that sometimes only some IMAP folders are not synchronized. For example Inbox is working fine, but for the Sent I receive the given error.

    In your B) test account which you have provided, I have never encountered any problem.

    For the newly created C) account which is in our domain. I never encountered any problem.

    (However there is a strange thing. For all of the accounts that in our domain (...@mycompany.hu) there is a strange behavior. The messages are automatically copied into the Sent folder by the server, and if configured in the client they appear there twice. This bug/feature just appeared earlier without any server modification, and as far as I know it is not settable on the server by us.)

    So the result of my test is that, the problem seems to be account specific.

    However we need to keep in mind that my account has a lot of emails, and the test accounts are quite empty.

    My configuration is the same for all accounts, so the client seems to handle the IMAP correctly.

    How can we further narrow down the problem?

    What possibilities do we have to find what causes this?

    Regard,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-10T21:39:52+00:00

    Hello Galambos,

    I'm writing to follow up the thread. May I know if the test account works fine? 

    Regards,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments