how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-24T11:27:31+00:00

    If I use the steps described, I get in the second step only a list with the "normal categories" to choose from (not the approximately 100 fake ones that were created automatically abusively).  (see image capture step 2)

    I never assign a mail to categories, so no mails are selected here and I don't have to remove any categories from them.

    but in my list of categories to choose from if I want to assign an appointment to a category I get the very long list with categories (see 3 other images in attachment) and I have to scroll down a lot to get the last categories.

    I WANT TO GET RID of  all these "weather" categories. I just tried once more to delete 5 of them. The only effect is that they are attached to the mail which was selected at that moment!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-24T17:47:51+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    If you cannot find these "weather" categories when clicking on Filter Email, please try to manual enter "category:"Weather"" into the search box to see if there is any difference. It will help you find all items that contain a category name that includes the word "Weather", for your reference:

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-25T08:12:35+00:00

    There are no mails or appointments with these categories (see screen shot). I have told you that already dozen times, why don't you believe me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-25T20:29:44+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Thanks for your screenshot. As you know it is a weird problem so I just want to confirm if those weather categories are related to the email items and we sincerely appreciate for your patience as we are working with you to solve this issue.  

    From the screenshots you provided before, those weather categories are appeared in your calendar, so, please kindly go to the calendar view and enter "category:Weather" (note: there is no "=" before "Weather") into the search box to see if you can filter all calendar event with those Weather categories. 

    If so, you can just press "Shift" key to select multiple calendar items and click on the "Categorize" button > Clear all categories. See below picture: 

    Thanks again for your patience during the whole process. Please feel free to share any updates with us at your earliest convenience.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments