how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-11T07:28:58+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Greetings. I have consulted with our senior engineer about your problem and once I receive any updates, I will update it here with you. 

    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-22T21:39:17+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Greetings and we sincerely appreciate for your patience. As I mentioned before I have consulted this case with our senior engineer and I'd like to share the update I receive with you: about the issue you found about remove the Categories from Outlook client, it is a normal behavior to avoid deleting emails incorrectly.

    Hope this information helps. I totally understand that this issue has brought you many inconvenience and we sincerely apologise for this. Meanwhile, we also appreciate your patience and cooperation during the whole troubleshooting process.

    Thanks again for your understanding and patience.

    Best regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-23T06:34:31+00:00

    I still do not know how to remove the 129 (!!!) useless categories to which no message or appointed is allocated and which makes the list of categories annoyingly long if I have to look for a REAL category.

    I still do hope that you find a solution to my problem and, if necessary, ask the Microsoft people to create a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-23T21:20:07+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    To confirm if there is any emails allocate with the categories you don't want, please try below steps to see if it helps:

    1. Go to View and change to Categories view. 

    1. Click on the Filter Email button > Categorized and then select a category.

    1. Cliek on the category's name in the Mail Navigation Pane and click Categorize > Clear All Categories.

    1. Then, if you can clear unwant categories through above steps, then you can delete the categories from the Categories list.

    Please kindly try above steps and share the results with us.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments