how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-25T02:27:18+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Yes, the steps I provided is to delete a category from a message, I understand you want to delete a category from category list rather than just from an item. The reason why I provided above is that since I noticed that I can reproduce the issue (and also want to confirm with you about the scenario we met) and after testing, I found that only method to remove it from category list is to remove the category from all items that assigned the category via unchecking the checkbox in front of the category. Regarding this issue, I need to consult with related team and will update you in 3 days. Thanks for your time.

    Best Regards,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-27T08:13:44+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    I wrote here to let you know we are still investigating this issue and will post here once we have any update.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T04:09:20+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    I have got update from related team and they told us it should be an expected behavior that Outlook will leave a label after you deleted the category, If you want to delete the category, you should remove the category from all emails assigned the category. To remove all, please perform as following:

    1. Click on the search box and click Categorized, the choose the category you want to delete. Then you will get all emails that assigned the color:

    1. Then select all (Press Ctrl button and signal click the messages), go to Home > Categorize > signal click the category you assigned. (This will remove the category from all emails assigned the category).
    2. Then click Categorize > All Categories > Delete the category you want to remove (clearthe checkbox in front of the category) > OK.

    Then the Category should be removed from your category list.

    But for the category you have deleted from category list directly, and it shows like "test (not in Master Category List)" already, to remove it, please try as following:

    1. Click on the search box and click Categorized, the choose any category, then you need to modified the name of category in quotes manually to the one you want to delete.

    1. Then select all messages, go to Home > Categorize > All Categories > clear the checkbox in front of the category > OK.

    Finally, please allow me to explain this for you. After you deleted a category from category list, it will leave a default one like "test (not in Master Category List)", it's used to protect users from deleting by accident. Once users deleted the category accident, user still can recover it via "test (not in Master Category List) label in message". So, deleting category operation become more complex.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-04T07:14:13+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Do you still have concern about this? Can you remove your category now as the method I provided in my last reply?

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments